Firebricks wanted - Sussex UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firebricks wanted - Sussex UK

I am looking for approx 150 firebricks - preferrably sourced locally to avoid high shipping costs. Also fireclay or refractory mortar.
    I can get reclaimed firebricks at 80p per brick and new at ?1.50 per brick but the freight is ?68.
    I am thinking of using reclaimed throughout or should I at least use new on the hearth/floor.

Re: Firebricks wanted - Sussex UK

I have found new firebricks at ?1.10 per brick and more reasonable shipping costs ?47.50 and fireclay at ?8.50 per bag. The bricks are 44% alumina. I am hoping that this will do - better than no brick or oven at all.
    Will post pics as progress is made.

Comment

Duncan, those prices you quote seem reasonable for UK sourced materials. The firebricks I bought from Midland Refractory are 42% alumina which I believe means they are 'medium duty' firebricks and suited to WFOs.
      TonyB

Visit my Blog at www.batty.me.uk

Comment

Originally posted by TonyBatty View Post
        Duncan, those prices you quote seem reasonable for UK sourced materials. The firebricks I bought from Midland Refractory are 42% alumina which I believe means they are 'medium duty' firebricks and suited to WFOs.
        Thank you for the confirmation and assurance on price Tony. I see where the 44% came in, mut be a typo on the pro-forma invoice as the original quote states 42%. How did you find the bricks to work with? Did you make your own refractory cement with fireclay?

Comment

The bricks were fine to work with but heavy, I now have tennis elbow

I cut them using a cheap 115mm angle grinder and cheap diamond blades, cutting a groove in one side of the brick then using a bolster chisel on the opposite side, which worked well for me, only messed up 1 brick in the 200 I used and it cut down on the dust. A larger angle grinder >200mm and blades would save some messing about

I soaked them for at least 20 mins or so before cutting and again before laying them, I also mixed the mortar (3:1:1:1) in a barrow using a hoe/cultivator as suggested on the forum, much easier on the back.

The first 5/6 rows are pretty straight forward and then the amount of brick edge cutting gets more each course which slows progress and where the dome meets the top of the door is a little fiddly. Having said that, it was much easier than I expected and no special DIY skills needed.

Good luck
          TonyB

Visit my Blog at www.batty.me.uk

Comment

Working...
          X