Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firebricks/storage heater bricks - UK Hampshire

Hi

I am towards the end of building my oven mk2. I was planning to use entirely old storage heater bricks, but ran out with 3 courses of the dome to go...

My Brother has been sourcing the storage heater bricks...

So I had to bite the bullet and bought some fire bricks from local merchants for about ?2.50 each...

Soon the storage heater bricks I was going to use should turn up. Not sure exactly when or how many yet - or quite what size... But last time I had about 30, 22x19x5 cm - about 4kg each.

Anyone interested?

Obviously won't be posting them. I would only be looking to recoup my costs on the firebricks I had to buy...

James

Re: Firebricks/storage heater bricks - UK Hampshire

Storage heaters usually have two controls - a charge control (often called "input"), which controls the amount of heat stored, and the draught control (often called "output"), which controls the rate at which heat is released. These controls may be set by the user, or in some models are automatic and allow you to set the target room temperature using a thermostat.

Storage heaters bricks can be sold on this community Storage Heaters Guide

Comment

I now have 50 storage heater bricks.

Each about 230mmx220mmx50mm

In Hampshire UK.

I can post pictures and weight on request.

Anyone interested?

James

Comment

Hi I am hoping to build the dome of my first oven using storage heater bricks rederd over with a weak mix 5 part silver sand 1 part cement 1 part lime mortar, also using this weak mix to bond the brick together, then cover with space blanket then mix a 5 x 1 mix of concrete to cover the blanket and form the dome ? the front will have an arch of red clay bricks and a flue of about 18 " the cooking floor will also be of storage heater brick ,any thoughts eagerly awaited ,any changes ? ? will this work ? ?

Comment

Heya,

I am also using storage heater bricks for the oven floor. I'm a bit concerned though as to the content of the bricks and if they are safe for cooking with !
          I'm hoping so as I got my whole oven floor for about ?10!

Anyone know anything about them? I think they are made of ferrio-oxide

Comment

Hi ive used these bricks in the barbie to cook mackerel as it cooks so quickly it kept its shape just turned it once, fish was good, i am still here so cant say i noticed any side affects ? but my missis would say different ! ! they are very soft and cut very easy ,lets hope they will be ok . ive stored these out side all winter no signs of frost damage . keep cooking man . . .feed the world

Comment

hiya i did have a pizza oven for 3 year with the storage heater brick and was fantastic , it keep so much heat ,u can keep cooking after few hour , but i move out so now i need to build a new one , by any chance do u steel have the bricks
              Thanks
              Gonzalo

Comment

I don't have any spare bricks left (other than a few off cuts that anyone is welcome to). My brother is a plumber and sometimes comes across old storage heaters when they renovate old places. I'll post again if he gets any more.

James

Comment

Hi James finally i get some from a local electric shop it cost me ?2.50 esch and i used a clay london brick as i cant afford to buy fire bricks
                  i used some techniques i did developed my self but in the end the result is fine , it work great and the overall cast me ?250

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0913.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	282762

Name:	IMG_0923.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	282763

Name:	IMG_0936.JPG