Any used or refurbished mixers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any used or refurbished mixers?

Interested in obtaining a used or refurbished Bosch or Electrolux mixer. Any ideas on how to locate one?

I'm sure that a few of these must be safely stored in closets, cupboards or even an occasional basement, attic or garage somewhere, and feeling neglected.

We're located just outside of Albany, NY (USA). Once warm(er) weather returns I can finish my WFO. It is currently under wraps to keep dry - causing some separation anxiety...

Re: Any used or refurbished mixers?

I see them on eBay frequently although to be honest my wife just got a big KitchenAid Mixer, the 6 quart version with a crank handle to raise and lower the bowl, and I could not be happier. It handles large batches of dough without a hiccup and brand new its much less money than even the used Electrolux Mixers I see on eBay.

Comment

I bought a 20 QT TBird industrial machine that I saw advertised in a local newspaper for $100. I had a small KA but it was not up to the job as the dough just clung to the J hook and did not knead the dough properly. Many batches wasted due to this problem. The new mixer is absolutely fantastic and produces top quality dough with its spiral hook. I would highly recommend sourcing a secondhand TBird/Hobart if you can. They are out there and you should be able to get one at a very reasonable price.

Rossco
      / Rossco

Comment

Yes I have one altamont,
        but it is here in Australia and 240v AC which is of no value to you, also too expensive to freight at 90+ kgs. A great rarely used 10 qt mixer
        It is also on the trade/barter section of the forum

Neill
        Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
        Neill’s kitchen underway
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Thanks for the replies! And keep them coming.

Wow!! Now I am wondering how much shipping would be along with either rewiring or a new motor.... With plate tectonics and enough time the shipping costs could drop though. Hmm

I am still looking for something to use besides my hands and arms. The prices on eBay always seem to jump during the last 20 minutes to a price that basically justifies just buying a new device and get the warranty coverage.

DimTex: What specific model KA? Any estimate on the number of pounds flour it can handle?

Heliman: Fantastic purchase for $100!!! To be that lucky...

I had to wrap my oven as I lacked @ 1 week of dry and warmth to finish encapsulating my dome and build the front entry/chimney. Waiting for Spring. Then the great experiments begin in earnest.

Approaching retirement age (a few years left but not enough $$) and am thinking of building a portable unit and hitting various venues in the northeastern USA to supplement. Worked part of my way through college in the food industry; kept my hand in here and there; I am gregarious and enjoy dealing with people; brewed some great beers and seem to have a good 'touch' with doughs. I should have called myself 'CarbMan' or some other name related to carbohydrates. Fresh pasta, ravioli,... a mixer would really come in handy.

If anyone hears of a good deal on a mixer drop me a line!
          And ALL advice is welcome. It is up to me to take it or not.
          Last edited by altamont; 02-04-2010, 10:19 AM.

Comment

This is a pic of the beast I bought - it was being tossed out by a local bakery...
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/10/k...html#post74127

Keep a lookout for bargains they are definitely out there. Once you use a commercial machine you will never be able to make dough any other way. It is great to watch as the machine effortlessly goes about its business of making top quality dough...

Rossco
            / Rossco

Comment

Hi altamont,
              on researching Hobart mixers on ebay in the US, I agree with you that they are frightfully expensive but much cheaper out here.
              Keep looking and keep your eyes wide open and one will come up that you simply will not be able to ignore.
              Only today, I bought 3 x 14" diamond brick saw blades here in Australia for less than Aus$110, that less than $33 each.
              Here are a couple to consider currently on ebay here:

20LT Commercial Dough Mixer with 240 volt single phase - eBay Mixers, Kitchen Equipment, Restaurants, Business, Industrial. (end time 06-Feb-10 18:30:31 AEDST)

BRANDNEW COMMERCIAL 30 LITRE 3-SPEED FOOD / DOUGH MIXER - eBay Mixers, Kitchen Equipment, Restaurants, Business, Industrial. (end time 10-Feb-10 20:45:35 AEDST)

Pizza Dough Mixer - eBay Mixers, Kitchen Equipment, Restaurants, Business, Industrial. (end time 07-Feb-10 18:46:33 AEDST)

commercial DOUGH MIXER pizza bread restaurant bakery - eBay Mixers, Kitchen Equipment, Restaurants, Business, Industrial. (end time 07-Feb-10 21:24:05 AEDST)

HOBART 20 LT DOUGH MIXER BREAD CAKE BAKERY PIZZA VIC - eBay Mixers, Kitchen Equipment, Restaurants, Business, Industrial. (end time 09-Feb-10 12:02:07 AEDST)

Dough mixer, 15 litre, as new with hook, whisk & beater - eBay Mixers, Kitchen Equipment, Restaurants, Business, Industrial. (end time 11-Feb-10 19:56:44 AEDST)

and

Hobart Dough Mixer - eBay Mixers, Kitchen Equipment, Restaurants, Business, Industrial. (end time 14-Feb-10 16:50:34 AEDST)

Cheers

Neill

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
              Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

why the heck are mixers so much cheaper in Oz if they are made here in the US???

Comment

That's a good question. Has there been "mixer dumping" by the US in OZ? mmm...

Comment

Might be just another foreign vendor to the OZ used mixer market. Might be a parts availability issue, or 60 cycle motors choking up in a 50 cycle environment.

The Hobart is a good quality machine. They let Kitchen Aide go to hell, but I haven't heard a word against the commercial units.
                    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I ordered attachments for my TBird directly from the manufacturer in Taiwan. Saved plenty (paid about 1/3 of local price). Something to consider if you are looking at refurbishing machines.

I don't think used machines are cheaper here - on the contrary. You just need to hunt around for bargains as they are out there but probably not that well advertised as the market is probably quite small. I think it would only be crazy people like WFO nuts that would invite a 20 Qt beast into their home. Friends who have seen mine can't believe that I have one living in my garage!!
                      Last edited by heliman; 02-24-2010, 12:49 AM.
                      / Rossco

Comment

Rossco

Friends who have seen mine can't believe that I have one living in my garage!!
                        Why have it hiding away in your garage. I have 2 out on display in the outdoor kitchen.
                        Get it out there for all to see.

Neill

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                        Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

Would like to Neill but the WFO area is open to the elements so it will get rained on etc.

It is still quite well located and close to the WFO - I just open the sliding door on the garage and it's easily accessible.

I wouldn't mind a nice indoor setup like yours!!

PS - Visitors do get a guided, grand tour of the mixer though. The usual reaction is quite amusing - normally disbelief at the size of the monster.
                          Last edited by heliman; 02-24-2010, 05:16 PM.
                          / Rossco

Comment

The KitchenAid we bought was the KitchenAid KP26M1XPM a 6qt mixer. I did a double batch of dough (8 cups flour).

Check craigslist first, then eBay since craigslist is local.

Good luck

Comment

They tossed out a Kitchenaid? Was it completely wrecked or did it actually work when you got it home?
                              kv25goxmc

Comment

Working...
                              X