Missing Bees???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Missing Bees???

There is a fair bit about the copper wire and tomatoes trick if you search on google. Apparently it is recommended that you poke the end of the wire into the ground, Though I can't see what that would do.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
      There is a fair bit about the copper wire and tomatoes trick if you search on google. Apparently it is recommended that you poke the end of the wire into the ground, Though I can't see what that would do.
      Ground it? Click image for larger version

Name:	shrug.gif
Views:	6
Size:	622 Bytes
ID:	280028
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
      [/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Archena View Post
        Ground it? [ATTACH]18239[/ATTACH]
        What? protection from lightning strikes?

Comment

Maybe it's to prevent electrocuting the visiting bees.

Comment

Google Alerts sends me ALL the articles published on Colony Collapse Disorder. This is the today's article. Several 'single causes' have been ruled out....Its not cell phone towers, UFO's or any of the off-the-wall explanations purported early on in the panic.

Originally posted by 39online.com
            KIAH

Researchers seek causes of honeybee colony collapse

Reuters
            3:15 PM CST, March 5, 2011

By Zach Howard

SOUTH DEERFIELD, Massachusetts (Reuters) - Birds do it, fleas do it but when bees do it, the value is $212 billion to the world economy.

That's why scientists are seeking a way to stem mass deaths of the world's primary pollinator -- the honeybee -- which affect more than 30 percent of bee colonies in the United States and more than 20 percent in some European countries.

Researchers have identified some probable causes of colony collapse disorder (CCD), including blood-feeding parasites, bee viruses, fungi, pesticide exposure and decreased plant diversity causing poor nutrition for honeybees, experts say.

"It's a complex interaction of several different factors that are causing bees to die, resulting in quick colony decline," said Jeff Pettis, entomologist and chief researcher at the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Bee Research Lab in Beltsville, Maryland.

Losses are alarming not just for honey lovers but for a huge chunk of the global agricultural market as well. Some 52 of the world's 112 leading crops -- from apples and soybeans to cocoa and almonds -- rely on pollination. One 2009 study by economists put the value of insect pollination, mainly by bees, at about $212 billion.

And with human population increasing quickly, observers worry that the bee decline will deepen a global crisis unfolding from limited crops and soaring food prices.

The threat to bees is international. England lost more than half its hives in the last two decades, and baffling bee losses are occurring in Asia, South America and the Middle East.

A single silver bullet to end the problem is still out of reach. But recent discoveries are shedding light on possible answers to the puzzle.

Some scientists blame commercial agricultural pesticides such as clothianidin, which has been linked to millions of bee deaths near farming areas in different countries. Banned in some European countries, clothianidin remains EPA-approved and is commonly used on U.S. crops such as corn, wheat and soy.

Another bee threat is parasites such as the varroa destructor, which clings to a bee as it feeds on hemolymph, or bee's "blood," and spreads dangerous viruses. Major infestations will typically wipe out beehives, said Keith Delaplane, entomology professor at the University of Georgia.

To fight those viral infections, a U.S.-Israeli biotech called Beeologics now makes an antiviral medicine that exploits a native immune mechanism and boosts bees' tolerance for disease, say multiple researchers involved with the studies.

Finally, another possible cause for bee deaths is a combination of a virus and a fungus, which was found in all collapsed colonies in a U.S. study last year. The viral-fungal duo may destroy bees' memory or navigation functions and contribute to colony collapse.

Commercial apiaries are far harder hit than independent honey producers, said small producer Dan Conlon, who owns 700 hives at Warm Colors Apiary in South Deerfield, Massachusetts. His bees tend to be resilient, living in a rural, diverse habitat.

"Most of those reporting heavy losses run large operations and are focused on migratory pollination for their income," Conlon said.

Early bee reports are poor throughout the United States this winter, including Georgia, which appears to be losing about one-third of its colonies, said Delaplane.

Managed U.S. hives numbered 2.68 million last summer, USDA said. That's only about half of the nation's 5 million hives tallied back in the 1940s.

The nation produced 176 million pounds of honey last year, with wholesale prices reaching a record $1.603 per pound, the USDA said.

(Editing by Barbara Goldberg and Ellen Wulfhorst)
            I saw a surprising statistic last week about beef cattle that follows the underlined portion of the article above....In the US, cattle population is about 96.2 million head.....Equal to 1956 population Beef prices will be going up, up, up!

I read more about my beekeping hobby in graduate school than I did for my (then) future vocation. Beekeeping is fun!
            Last edited by Lburou; 03-30-2011, 09:18 PM.
            Lee B.
            DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Where did Noah keep his bees?
              A. In the Ark hives.

Comment

The latest article.

There IS progress
                Lee B.
                DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

Major bee losses here in FL the past few years. what used to be an actual industry (beekeeping) is now a few soles left who have smaller colonies. FL beekeepers for decades were able to handle farms and groves throughout the south east, now there are not enough to pollenate the local crops. Reasons rainging from parasites killing the bees to to much infitration of africanized (killer) bees. I have actually seen many bees on several of my plants and shrubs, mostly the more aggressive African bees.

RT

Comment

<makes note to never move to Florida>

Great article, Lburou! Thanks!
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                    [/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by kombiman View Post
                      to import a type of bumble bee into Au
                      There are Bumble bees in Tassie, Ive seen them.
                      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Another possible vector against the honey bees here in the US

The latest via Google alerts
                        Originally posted by Lacy Gray

Now with today?s Food Forethought, here?s Lacy Gray.
                        Looks like scientists are getting closer to discovering the real cause behind colony collapse disorder, a phenomenon where worker bees abruptly disappear from their prospective hives, and it doesn?t appear to be crop treatments or cell phone towers. Since 2006 honey bee colonies worldwide have drastically declined. With bees being of primary importance for the pollination of agricultural crops scientists have been working to discover the cause of the syndrome. Now, out of sheer happenstance, a biology professor in California collecting dead bees around his university for another project discovered strangely enough a parasitic fly larva emerging from the dead bees. Stranger yet is that scientists hadn?t considered this particular parasitic fly as the culprit in honey bee colony collapse disorder since it had already been previously documented as parasitizing bumblebee and paper wasp populations. Scientists are also wondering now if this parasitic species of fly isn?t also spreading other parasites and viruses into bee hives as well. It certainly seems to be one of those ?well duh? moments for science, but better late than never for the bees.

Thanks Lacy. That?s today?s Northwest Report. I?m Greg Martin on the Ag Information Network.
                        That reminds me of the parasitic wasp fostered by a University here in Texas to battle the fire ants....We'll sure be lucky if the wasp works against the fire ant populations, here and everywhere.
                        Lee B.
                        DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

Gudday
                          I live near the port of brisbane (Australia) and due to the incidents of both african and asian bee hives being found on containers, no european bee hive can be kept in the area. The native Australian Stingless Bee can be. Its a completely different insect. There small only 3mm long do not sting and are great little pollenators.

Click image for larger version

Name:	aust native bee.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1,007.7 KB
ID:	288108

This is the hive in my garden and they range up to 1/2 km. They look like a very small fly rather than a bee shape and do not make any buzzing sounds. Once you know what to look for you'll find them everywere on the tomatoes, on the flowers, on the citrus and advocardo.
                          The hives small 300 mm high (12 in) and can be split into two halfs. You can split the hive when full either take the honey or add another 1/2 box and start a new hive. They don't produce wax like he traditional euopean bees do but rather collect plant waxes and resin to make the comb. Unlike european bee comb its not flat sheets but rather like a spiral that hangs from the roof and gets bigger as it goes down,.
                          As they collect resin for thier comb it gives the honey some interesting flavours. When I first got this hive it must have been near pine trees as it had an interesting pine tang. During the dry a lavender flavour. Since its rained well this year and the citris and orange blossom tree has blossom twice! I'm hopeing for a citrus tang. The honeys thinner than what you would used to, but very strong and flavoursome, I like mine on ice cream it will even dominate flavours like chocolate.
                          The lid of the box is thick ( yes with bees insulate! insulate! ) and has a space that you can put a small jar, the bees will fill this with honey and you can get a small sample from here without disturbing the main box.
                          If any Australians are interested you can find quite a bit on them on the net. You can buy a hive locally or make friend with a local tree lopper even.... but please don't be tempted to take a wild hive from its proper home.

Regards Dave
                          Last edited by cobblerdave; 01-06-2012, 02:47 PM.
                          Measure twice
                          Cut once
                          Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                          My Door
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

I have had European Bees in the past and we get native bees too.( I hate that they destroy rubber but everything else they do is great)
                            Orange honey is fantastic but you cant beat herb honey.
                            .................................................. ........................................
                            I think there a more reasons for hive collapse and industrial agriculture is part of the problem.
                            You get massive mono culture crops particularly Almonds in California that has apiarists from all over the US bring their bees to get infected and then return them home to spread the mites and diseases.
                            It will be interesting to see what effects industrial chemicals have had too.Insecticides and herbicides.

Comment

Originally posted by TropicalCoasting View Post
                              I have had European Bees in the past and we get native bees too.( I hate that they destroy rubber but everything else they do is great)
                              Orange honey is fantastic but you cant beat herb honey.
                              .................................................. ........................................
                              I think there a more reasons for hive collapse and industrial agriculture is part of the problem.
                              You get massive mono culture crops particularly Almonds in California that has apiarists from all over the US bring their bees to get infected and then return them home to spread the mites and diseases.
                              It will be interesting to see what effects industrial chemicals have had too.Insecticides and herbicides.
                              Destroy rubber???? you'll have to explain that one

Regards dave
                              Measure twice
                              Cut once
                              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                              My Door
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

I've been told they eat rubber, they will eat the seals around your windows and strip rubber from your car.
                                I dont know if its for nest building, but the the guy who told me said he has seen all the rubber disappear on his car windows.
                                I have had the rubber grommet on my solar inverter chewed out in less than 6 months,I'm assuming its native bees.

dont know if its these guys?? but I do have those patterns on some tree leaves
                                Leafcutter Bee (genus Megachile)

Comment

Working...
                                X