***Thanks For Noticing***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ***Thanks For Noticing***

Thanks guys,, several of you noticed my avatar was different, I found a place in Hackensack, NJ The town where I work, and picked up a soapstone countertop remnant... It was 81 bucks... almost nothing,,, They also sell soapstone fireplaces and soapstone fire bricks.. The firebricks are $ 9.50 each.... I thought they were kidding but they werent...
    the website is a little difficult to manuver, but they sell DIY countertop pieces foe 3-800 with shipping included,, If you can go there they have a big assortment of remnants at 10-15 $ a sq. ft. Here are some pics, I have some SBC left ofer so I threw another coat on the dome as I wasnt too happy with the color fading... Will prob paint the dome a Terra Cotta color,,,, Suggestions welcomed

Cheers
    Mark

soapstones.com
    Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010, 05:45 PM.

Re: ***Thanks For Noticing***

Purdy!

Hmm, terra cotta doesn't blend well with a blue like soapstone. Unless you're a big Auburn fan orange and blue might not be the best choice. If you want a warm color how about something more yellow like a straw or dark cream? If you really like the terra cotta maybe a pumpkin - something more muted and more on the yellow side. Reds will also be pretty stark although you might try a dusky brick. As far as the cool colors go something in a complimentary blue or even a blue green might work. Green would be hard to pull off and unless you are planning to have a Barney the Dinosaur theme party I'd stay far away from the purples.

Myself, I'm partial to the straw/dark cream end of the spectrum. But the important thing is that when you look out the window at it you like what you see.

And what's with that chimney? Is it supposed to be black?

(Last time you'll ask for suggestions anywhere I might see, huh? )
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
    [/CENTER]

Comment

I like it, how is your other project working out?

Comment

Looks great Mark and at a good price too!

I have come to the conclusion that a significant counter directly in front of the entrance is a definite plus. So nice having a place to slide a roast out onto to check temp and/or baste. When I first built mine there was some concern about diminished access to the back of the WFO because of the reach over the counter but that has not proved to be a problem. And having a place right there to set down a hot roaster or pot of beans in order to get a better grip has saved the day more than once. I cannot imagine doing without it.

That soapstone looks beautiful, as for color IMHO it is possible to pull off a terracotta and blue combination. Here's a photo of our bathroom floor. We needed/wanted to tie in the orange/honey color of aged VG fir with a blue exterior of a ball and clawfoot tub. And I would guess the blue on our floor is "bluer" than your soapstone. If it works for you that's enough reason.

Bests,
        Wiley

Comment

Hey Arch
          terra cotta doesn't blend well with a blue like soapstone
          I dont think the pics are putting the color right,, its actually more green than blue....
          Dont know if that helps or not in my color choices....

Hey Mike,,,

I like it, how is your other project working out?
          Thanks.... Project "x" is 90% complete,,,, I have a little more welding to do and you will be seeing it....

Hey Wiley,
          I have come to the conclusion that a significant counter directly in front of the entrance is a definite plus. So nice having a place to slide a roast out onto to check temp and/or baste. When I first built mine there was some concern about diminished access to the back of the WFO because of the reach over the counter but that has not proved to be a problem.
          It is a little tuff to reach right now, but I am planning to raise/bring out the base a little farther.... that will aleeviate any problems.. I had a smaller wood counter top before, and as you might guess it couldnt take too much heat, especially when having a scary fire to warm up to temp... This counter is 19 deep from the door.. I have used it 3 times and its very handy and you can drag the hot coals right on it and it wont bother it at all... P.S. I like the color combo in your bathroom....

My only regret is that I wish I knew the place existed while I was building the oven and I would have made a single piece soapstone floor.... Maybe the next oven,,,

THanks all
          Mark
          Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010, 05:54 PM.

Comment

P.S. Archena,
            And what's with that chimney? Is it supposed to be black?
            Ummmm, not really,,, Im also thinking of rebuilding my chimney,, The interior opening is about 9" long by 4" wide.. So Im thinking I may take the arch off, Extend the whole thing another half brick, Put split firebrick on the side and rework my opening/transistion.. Once hot it draws fine, but as you can see during the heatup its not the greatest... Will think it out over the weekend....
            Cheers
            Mark..

Oh,,, Arch, By the way,, your opinions are good if i like them And I do like the straw or dusky brick... so thanks..
            Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 04-09-2010, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Lovely chunk of stone. I'm undecided between 1/2"x12"x12" granite tiles and a few large 1" granite slabs, perhaps bull-nosed. Problem with the latter is cutting it to the necessary shapes to fit around my oven.

Nice soapstone, which I see didn't require shapely cutting in your case.

Cheers!

WFO Webpage: http://keithwiley.com/brickPizzaOven.shtml
              Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ttle-7878.html

Comment

Mark.....wow, what a deal on that counter top. Looks very nice too and adds a nice touch to the overall look of your oven.

BTW, the blackened arch & chimney adds character to the oven, imo...
                George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Hey Keb,
                  Nice soapstone, which I see didn't require shapely cutting in your case.
                  No, Fit it on exactly as I bought it.... The guy said it was probably a mistake..

They also told me you can cut and rout soapstone as long as you use carbide tipped blades or bits...
                  Hey Fx
                  Thanks.. I am begininning to think I will stick with the black... It does add charachter...
                  Thanks guys

Comment

Hmm, if it's drawing that poorly you might wanna rebuild it color not withstanding. A decently functioning chimney should not only draw off the smoke but also increases air flow (hot air go up, cool air come in - oxygen is a good thing for fire!). In the meantime you can try heating the chimney before starting the fire (or actually while the fire is getting started good). A rolled up newspaper with the end on fire will let you heat the chimney - by the time the fire is really going the chimney will already be drawing.

Despite a UA aversion to Auburn orange/blue combos, I really just had the soapstone blue in mind. A green/blue - I dunno. While contrast can look really good a little goes a long way with a 'natural' material like stone so I still wouldn't use a high contrast like terra cotta. I still lean to the yellow end but a dusky brick might provide the contrast so that it showcases the soapstone without overpowering it - especially if you are adding black to the mix.

I'd go with straw or brick - but I'm not the one who has to look at it. Try the down and dirty version - samples. Nowadays you can get tiny paint samples so you might try getting two or three and painting them on a leftover brick. Let it dry then set the brick(s) on the counter for a few days. That way you can see them at different times, in different lights and you'll know the shade is true. Paint chips don't work well on textured surfaces because the light just won't act on them the same way. A brick surface is hard as heck to get a solid color on (think thick, multiple coats) so it's likely to significantly affect the look - hence using a brick rather than just a paint chip.

Later!
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

[/CENTER]

Comment

Hey Guys..
                      Added a new deck area to the bottom,,, It was a little too hard to reach so I raised the floor
                      Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Wood, how nice, never would have thought of that...which seems ridiculous as I type it. Lots of decks are wood, most of them.

I would like to flagstone the area around my oven if possible.

WFO Webpage: http://keithwiley.com/brickPizzaOven.shtml
                        Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ttle-7878.html

Comment

Hey Keb,
                          My only worry is of course the obvious "FIRE" I'm sure I will get a few embers here and there and some small burns.. nothing a yearly refinish wont cure... Or I may just leave them as charachter marks...... :-}

Comment

You keep that up and your oven is gonna have a lot of 'character'!

Seriously, looks nice. Be careful about the sealant - make sure it isn't flammable. It shouldn't be once dried but a potential accelerant near a really hot ignition source - a little paranoia may be in order. And make danged sure it's fully, 100% dry before you even think about firing up that oven.

Um, also, watch your tools - you're probably more likely to damage the floor with the tools than the embers. It does look nice - just don't let it develop too much 'character'.

[/CENTER]

Comment

Yes, it's all about character and good pizza!
                              I love that wooden deck.....nice touch there.
                              George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Working...
                              X