Topsy Turvy Tomatoes in Kentucky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Topsy Turvy Tomatoes in Kentucky

I just couldn't resist the "As Seen On TV" logo and purchased three Topsy-Turvy tomato planters and one strawberry planter. If you aren't familiar with these, here is the website:
    Topsy Turvy Planters

The planters get mixed reviews on the web. I was looking at one in Home Depot today and a nice old lady came up to me and told me how wonderful they are and that she'll never plant tomatoes in the ground again. OK, so I bought three

I planted 2 Roma tomatoes and one "Health Kick Tomato" hybrid (it looks like a variety of Roma).

If you all are interested, I'll keep you up-to-date on my experiment.
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Re: Topsy Turvy Tomatoes in Kentucky

Absolutely Ken! I've been eying them myself at home-depot too. I'm too busy to do it so I'm curious how yours will turn out.
    I've had soil born diseases in my vegi garden and I can't get myself to let it rest a season and I really can't rotate to much being city-dweller whose yard is half-pool, half pizza oven (kidding). I've been wanting to try those hanging things to see how good a crop they get. Keep us posted and good luck, Dino
    "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
    http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Hey Ken,
      I tried the Topsy Turvy last year and produced one tomato. I little disappointing to say the least. I think my problem was bad soil. I used some potting soil from a local farm store and it looked more like mulch than potting soil. I am going to try it again this year with some proper soil and hope for better results. Hope your results are better than mine last year. Good Luck.

Craig

Comment

Hi Craig,
        I used Miracle Grow potting soil and have (so far) kept them moist. We'll see how it goes, err GROWS!
        Ken H. - Kentucky
        42" Pompeii

Comment

I'm trying the same idea using old vinegar jugs (white vinegar is awesome stuff). Advantage one, you can see the dry spots. It is also pretty obvious that you have to do some serious watering.

How are yours doing, Ken?
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
          [/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Archena View Post
            How are yours doing, Ken?
            So far so good... We just plowed up a small garden this week. I'm going to put a few tomatoes in the ground for back up.
            Ken H. - Kentucky
            42" Pompeii

Comment

TT Alternative:

I work in a grocery store and most bakeries will have 4- 41\2 gallon buckets, go and nicely ask for a couple and they most likley will give them to you. Make sure they have metal handles, the plastic ones will not last into the next year. Copy the TT design and ta da!! tomato and pepper growing machines.

Derk

Comment

Great idea! Also, if you cut the holes in the sides you have strawberry planters.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

[/CENTER]

Comment

How are the tomatoes Ken? Any blooms yet? How is the Topsy Turvy tomatoe comparing to the ones in the ground?

Comment

I don't have time to post any pics today. I'm heading out of town tomorrow for a week so I'll post some photos when I get home. The Topsy-Turvy's are doing very well. One of the plants has about a half dozen blooms on it. I've been watering daily and fertilizing weekly.

My "control" crop was just planted in the garden last week and I've ignored them so they are small and scrawny; I'm a lousy scientist.
                    Ken H. - Kentucky
                    42" Pompeii

Comment

We did the topsy turvy tomatoes last year. I took 8 wirebaskets with coco liners planted flowers on top, cut a hole in the bottom and planted the tomato upside down...see the photo. Fun, functional and pretty!! Oh and less expensive!! I think I paid $8 for each basket at Wal-Mart!
                      Check out our blog for a glimpse into our hobbies of home brewing, soda, beer and wine, gardening and most of all cooking in our WFO!

http://thereddragoncafe.blogspot.com/

Comment

Mine are also doing well - but they want to grow upwards. Actually, they are rather insistent about that.

[/CENTER]

Comment

Archena:

They will try to grow UP but once the fruit sets and begins to grow the weight will force the plant to grow down. No need to worry! This is a photo of a lemon drop grape tomato later in the season, my first photo i posted was the plant with no fruit the plant is growing up this is the same plant with gravity doing its work!
                          Check out our blog for a glimpse into our hobbies of home brewing, soda, beer and wine, gardening and most of all cooking in our WFO!

http://thereddragoncafe.blogspot.com/

Comment

Okay, thanks.

Thus far only one bloom. Oddly, it's on the part that broke off during the initial planting. I stuck it in the top to see if it would root - it did.

But it's still early and all the plants are looking good.

Next up: strawberries!

[/CENTER]

Comment

Here's an update picture. I have about a half dozen baby Roma's on the right plant and a handful on the middle plant. Temps here have been in the 90's making it very hard to keep these moist. I'm pretty happy with the results so far. If I can keep them watered, I should have tomatoes in a couple of weeks.

So far the strawberry Topsy-Turvy has been a waste.
                              Ken H. - Kentucky
                              42" Pompeii

Comment

Working...
                              X