Rossco's Grande Tour 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rossco's Grande Tour 2010

Just setting up an area to post info from the pizza tour of Italy, Corsica, St Tropez, Monaco and Spain - 2010, starting tomorrow.

Eventually found a way to upload images to this forum via iPhone so hopefully I will be able to share some shots of pizza stuff along the way...
    Last edited by heliman; 05-07-2010, 03:39 AM.
    / Rossco

Re: Rossco's Grande Tour 2010

So excited for you! Have a wonderful time!
    Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Thanks Elizabeth - I'm really looking forward to the break!!!
      / Rossco

Comment

Wow, that sounds wonderful Rossco. Are you doing this on your own or with a tour group? Would love to know who offers a tour like that. Have a great time and send lots of pics.
        Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

Thanks lwood...

This is a "self guided" tour. Have done some research on the places we will be visiting so I have some idea of what to expect .. but there is also an an element of sponteneity involved which I also like. Will just arrive in places like Venice and Naples and walk the back streets. One that I will HAVE to see/sample though is Da Michele in Naples, so that has been scheduled in.

From Italy we will be cruising for 7 nights and stopping each day in a new port where we get off and explore the local attractions. Will be on the lookout for woodfired ovens down the back-streets and see where the locals are eating as a cue to a suitable restaurant.

Will try posting along the way and should be able to manage, wireless connections permitting!
          / Rossco

Comment

Sounds great Rossco, have a great trip and we will be looking forward to your pics and discoveries. We took a cruise last year out of Rome with Costa Cruises and the food was out of this world. Have fun.

Comment

Just sitting at Singapore's Changi airport waiting for a connection to London.

Not a WFO in sight so far... sigh... soon!!
              / Rossco

Comment

Spent some time in Rome today - searching desperately for a WFO. Sadly i never found one but managed to get a pleasant margherita (done in an electric oven). Reasonable crust, but paper-thing. Ordered a lasagne to go with it so I didn't starve. Pic attached.

Just busy researching WFOs in Rome to see if anything like that exists. Off to Venice early tomorrow so hopefully better luck in my hunt for the good stuff.
                / Rossco

Comment

Don't waste time in venice on pizza. Eat seafood. lots of it. And if you get time, go to torcello- not a lot of people there, but a spectacular view from the top of the church tower if it's not hazy. If it's hazy, then skip it, you won't see much.
                  Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Sounds good - thanks for the tip. I am quite partial to seafood!
                    / Rossco

Comment

Hi Rossco!

I just got home from a week in Boston. Ate awfully well though I managed to gain less than I was afraid I would. Lots of great seafood. Look forward to your reports and am glad the food will be going to your waist and not mine!

Eat On!
                      Jay

Comment

Hi Rossco,
                        Did i search on Google for "pizza, rome" and found several. Maybe too late but here it is => Pizzeria Forno a Legna Roma Trastevere Dar Poeta

Comment

Thanks Jay - I'll eat some for you too :-)

Thanks for doing the research lwood - heading back to Rome in a few days time.

Day 1 - Venice
                          ==========

Just been for a wander around Rialto where we are staying. Fantastic place for sure. Had some success finding some nice (non WF) pizza in a small alley way over the bridge. Grabbed a few slices for myself and my wife had some pannini and we watched the world go by. Fabulous!!

Just about to head off to find the much-recommended seafood places.
                          / Rossco

Comment

That's about the best looking non WFO pizza I have seen (in image 3). Great example of sparse topping. Good browning. Looks great!

Keep up the good work! )
                            Jay

Comment

Day 2
                              ====

Did San Marco area this morning and saw a number of interesting pizza places along the way.

Decided to chase up some seafood and found a great restaurant called Vini da Pinto down near the fish market. Great food and well priced.

Had a calamari and seafood spagetti combo and my wife had ravioli with ham and cream sauce. Was superb!

Just passing by the hotel en route to a show this evening - just enough time for an update on activities...
                              / Rossco

Comment

Working...
                              X