Wheat germ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheat germ?

This is a bit odd, I know, but my husband's been eating Kretchmer's honey wheat germ for breakfast EVERY DAY for probably 30 years. The problem is that none of the stores here are carrying it anymore. He stocked up as soon as he realized what was going on, but he'll run out sooner or later. I think they may be discontinuing it.

How can I take regular wheat germ and turn it into the honey wheat germ? I was thinking of taking watered-down honey and coating untoasted wheat germ with it, and toasting it that way, but I am not sure it will work.

Any ideas? I'm willing to make it in large batches and freeze it. I just want him to have what he wants for breakfast.
    Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Re: Wheat germ?

Hi Elizabeth!

It is hard to imagine a product like that getting canned. But they will probably keep making wheat germ so they probably won't sell the honey nut version to another company...

Poking around online it looks like Quaker is discontinuing the Honey Crunch version. There are some sites online that have it. FoodServiceDirect seems to have it at prices almost half of everyone else and claim it is in stock. Others have it at above retail which makes it appear to be demand/termination driven.

I think it will work. Will probably take some experimentation and end up with a different texture but... I would say go for it. I don't know if you need to water down the honey. My first try would be to heat the honey so it is runny and drizzle it on a bowl of wheat germ and toss it, adding the honey in several doses. Then dry it in a low oven or fruit dryer. Might have to break it up some but...

Good Luck!
    Jay

Comment

Working...
    X