Jamie Oliver now pedling ovens...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamie Oliver now pedling ovens...

Well it took him long enough, but it looks as if Jamie Oliver is now selling/endorsing Wood fired ovens.

Some of them look familiar.

Jamie Oliver | Wood Fired Ovens - Home
    -------------------------------------------
    My 2nd Build:
    Is here

Re: Jamie Oliver now pedling ovens...

Defra Clean Air Certified:
    Our range of ovens has permission to operate within smokeless zones, such as London. They have been thoroughly tested and awarded a clean air exemption certificate by DEFRA due to their low emissions ratings. Used properly, the ovens are carbon neutral. Instructions regarding correct usage to ensure carbon neutrality are provided with each oven.
    Smoke free? Carbon neutral? What's he been smoking?
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

at the risk of turning this thread into a climate change debate...

I found this on a site about wood heating:

Although carbon makes up about half the weight of firewood and is released as carbon dioxide when the wood is burned, it is part of a natural cycle. A tree absorbs carbon dioxide from the air as it grows and uses this carbon to build its structure. When the tree falls and decays in the forest, or is processed into firewood and burned, the carbon is released again to the atmosphere. This cycle can be repeated forever without increasing atmospheric carbon. Heating with wood, therefore, does not contribute to the greenhouse effect. And there?s more good news: when the use of wood for energy displaces the use of fossil fuels, the result is a net reduction in greenhouse gas emissions.
      with enough spin - you can justify anything!
      My 2nd Build:
      Is here

Comment

Although carbon makes up about half the weight of firewood and is released as carbon dioxide when the wood is burned, it is part of a natural cycle. A tree absorbs carbon dioxide from the air as it grows and uses this carbon to build its structure. When the tree falls and decays in the forest, or is processed into firewood and burned, the carbon is released again to the atmosphere. This cycle can be repeated forever without increasing atmospheric carbon. Heating with wood, therefore, does not contribute to the greenhouse effect. And there’s more good news: when the use of wood for energy displaces the use of fossil fuels, the result is a net reduction in greenhouse gas emissions.
        Ha! That is so perfect. I now have a response if ever questioned!

Comment

Well, yes, wood rotting on the forest floor releases exactly the amount of carbon dioxide that you would (wood?) by burning it. That said, it's still not exactly a solar cooker.

Comment

By the looks of the soot, he must be burning some carbon neutral pine in there

Comment

By the looks of the soot, he must be burning some carbon neutral pine in there
              That must be how these are able to operate in smokeless zones like London, by depositing all the smoke on the inner surface of the dome.

Comment

Also when wood rots on the forest floor it produces methane as well as releasing the carbon. Methane as a green house gas is approx 20 time worse than CO2. When you burn the wood the methane is burnt.

It's not quite as simple as that but as Mitchamus suggested not only with enough spin can you justify anything but with a bit more spin you can even justify how environmentally friendly you are.
                Paul

Deficio est nusquam tamen vicis ut satus iterum
                (Failure is nothing but the opportunity to start again)

Comment

However, burning wood produces carbon in the form of bucky-balls, which are carcinogenic. Decaying wood does not release that type of carbon. That isn't a greenhouse issue, it's a cancer issue, but whatever.

More to the point, while it may be true that burning wood doesn't produce more carbon then letting a tree die and rot, it does produce more carbon than converting a tree into lumber. Lumber is one of the best forms of carbon sequestration because the product is actually useful while at the same time confining carbon away for a very long time.

BTW, I found his orange/polenta video and now I'm dieing to try it!!!

WFO Webpage: http://keithwiley.com/brickPizzaOven.shtml
                  Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ttle-7878.html

Comment

Jamie actually inspired me to look into WFOs. I like the way he uses the oven for everything. I guess GREEN is the new buzz word. No matter how you spin it, slice it or dice it, burning wood is not GREEN.
                    Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

Originally posted by lwood View Post
                      ....snip.... No matter how you spin it, slice it or dice it, burning wood is not GREEN.
                      So, I don't get a prize for heating my house with a wood stove?
                      Lee B.
                      DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by Lburou View Post
                        So, I don't get a prize for heating my house with a wood stove?
                        I'm about to do the same thing - so I hope so!

The prize is several afternoons of wood splitting!

Your very existence contributes to carbon pollution, it's probably best not to get too worried about it!

We have ads on the TV down here urging people to become a Vegetarian to save the planet.
                        Cannibalism would be a more effective option though!!
                        My 2nd Build:
                        Is here

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchamus View Post
                          I'm about to do the same thing - so I hope so!

The prize is several afternoons of wood splitting!

Your very existence contributes to carbon pollution, it's probably best not to get too worried about it!

We have ads on the TV down here urging people to become a Vegetarian to save the planet.
                          Cannibalism would be a more effective option though!!
                          Didn't know that, it is unbelievable. Its amazing how influential any media can be....Also amazing that ordinary people swallow stuff hook, line and sinker, with no critical evaluation to find hidden agendas or to think for themselves.
                          Lee B.
                          DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

The whole Greenhouse Gas thing is such a farce being pushed by academia due to decreasing budgets and Al Gore who could not hold down a real job - guess you know where I am on that. It causes me great problems as academia looks at catalytic converters for livestock and having the general population stop breathing for 30 seconds every hour or so

And with China coming up to a modern lifestyle, oh my, we are all going to die.

Seriously, the world goes through periods of heating and cooling based on orbital position and solar activity, the later of which we have no clue about. As for the modelling, I like to point to the disclaimer on all legal investments - past performance is not guarantee on future performance.

The models used for prediction are not very accurate, nor fortelling. I believe that the model outputs for this year were totally off.

Oh well, we are all going to die (someday).

Chris
                            I do not represent my employer with anything stated in any non-company communication and the opinions presented are the authors own - nice disclaimer, eh?
                            Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Comment

I actually can thank Jamie Oliver for giving me the idea to build my WFO. I watched his show one day and he was cooking in a cast iron skillet inside his old WFO. That was all I needed to see, that is when my quest began to have one for my own.

Comment

Working...
                              X