Some Post Cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Post Cards

My wife was cleaning out some boxes of stuff from her late mother and came across a stack of old post cards. These I thought might be of interest to the Forum. I know there is some sort of copyright issue here so in order to minimise problems I am including the name of the photographer and the publisher. These were collected during a vacation taken by my wife's family in 1966 and have that date written in pencil on the back.

The first post card was published and distributed by Petley Studios, Phoenix Arizona. The photo was taken by a Mr. John E. Floodberg. The caption on the back reads:

"TAOS PUEBLO Shown here are the unique baking ovens. Preheated by building a fire inside, then scraping out the ashes, the bread is baked by the retained heat."

The second post card was published by Petley Studios, Albuquerque, New Mexico. The photographer was Mr. Walter Haussamen. The caption on the back reads:

"INDIAN GRINDING CORN, The method employed here is the same as has been used for hundreds of years. Nearby is the Adobe oven, an item as essential as food itself in the Indians daily life."

The third post card was published and distributed by Bob Petley, Phoenix, Arizona. The photograph was taken by Mr. Les Reed. The caption on the back reads:

"TAOS INDIAN PUEBLO Northern New Mexico"

Enjoy,
    Wiley

Re: Some Post Cards

I see from the centre postcard image that I am not the only one to use a rolling pin to draw out my pizza balls!

Cheers.

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Neill,

I think she is grinding corn for flour. But... If she were to invent pizza, I am sure she would have no objection to using a rolling pin.
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Wiley, these are way cool. Thanks for sharing. Like Les already mentioned, I'll bet the lady was converting corn meal into corn tortillas and then topped with fajitas.

Comment

Thanks Grannifocaccia, I thought they were cool as well.

The lady grinding the corn is obviously a staged photograph. She's wearing her finest native dress and all her jewelry and somehow wearing that and grinding corn in the hot sun doesn't seem to be what I would expect.

The first and third photos appear to be not staged at all. Hot sun and the person in the first photo has a shirt draped over their head for some protection. And the third is the famous Pueblo in New Mexico which has been continously inhabited for about 1000 years. Check out the ramadas in the front to make shade. My bet is in that shade the grinding was done. People in that photo are dressed in standard N. American garb and one person at least is walking away...so I suspect it wasn't staged.

Bob Petley, the publisher was quite interesting. Everyone's seen a "jackalope", right?

Obituary: Bob Petley created Arizona jackalope - Tucson Citizen Morgue (1992-2009)

Bests,
          Wiley

Comment

I had no idea jackalopes had grown to that level of popularity...

It was twenty-something years ago I sat down and ordered dinner in a small town outside of Taos, maybe not too far from where the pueblo photo was oroginally taken. Since then I have yet to taste a puffed-up 'dinner roll' quite as delicate and authentically hand-hewn as that wonderful sopa pilla. I am romantically convinced that this kind of bread is what came out of those postcard ovens and I will one day replicate them in my own oven.

Comment

Enjoyed the postcards. They harken back to a day when things were simpler.
              Lee B.
              DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Working...
              X