Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: seashells for retaining heat in oven

Originally posted by MAVANO View Post
    ok ok ok---- just a thought I had,(mind fart excuse me) with all these left over clams and oyster (Christmass dinner) shells its a shame that all these shells will go to the garbage hill, got to be a good use for them,,,, too much vino rosso )))
    Line your paths with crushed oyster shells, natural lighting . The problem is crushing the shells. Thomas Jefferson had slaves
    Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

"Thomas Jefferson had slaves"
      And they did a lot more for him than just crushing his shells.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

If you shovel them in after firing, they will simply suck heat out of the oven mass. If you have them in the oven during firing, they will simply extend the time required for heat saturation. I am not seeing a plus either way.

Comment

Hi All,

I don't see an application for it in my 36" oven but there could be a plus or two for a larger oven if there were no options.

1. You could cover a hot spot with crushed shell, or
          2. Place hot shells over a cool spot.

It would require that you know your oven well enough to manage its heat characteristics and use the shells as a way to moderate the thermal environment.

Time required for heat saturation may not be an issue for everyone . It certainly could be if you are on a time schedule or if you have to pay for fuel wood though. Otherwise, heating additional mass may have been a practice in past eras that we simply have no need for today.

Happy New Year !!
          Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

The only reason for having seashells in your oven is if their stuffed with chopped clams, breadcrumbs, garlic, parsley, salt, pepper, and olive oil!
            Yummy!
            View my pictures at, Picasaweb.google.com/xharleyguy

Comment

very delicious,why chop them, their good as they are ,raw or baked, I want to know and look at what I'm eating, when chopped don't know whats in it unless I chop them,got them from your area in Mass. Cape Cod.very tasty.

Comment

LOL...Agreed oventhusiast
                Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

Hey Mavano!
                  I hear you! Chopped, whole, soft-shell (steamers), quahogs, littlenecks, oysters, etc., I LOVE 'em all! One of my first jobs (I was about 10 or 11 years old) was shucking clams, (for fried clams) and my older 'co-workers' would light the charcoal (dish shaped) grill, lay down some aluminum foil and throw the clams on with butter and salt. I've been hooked on shellfish ever since!!
                  View my pictures at, Picasaweb.google.com/xharleyguy

Comment

Working...
                  X