Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POW camp.

POW camp.
    There used to be a prisoner of war camp that was used in WW2 about 1 hours drive from my place, it also happens to be smack bang in the middle of an 1850's goldrush town.

The camp held Germans that were sunk off the coast and a few Italians, there are still a few remnants of the camp left, concrete floors bricks etc.

As I do on days off I take the metal detector for a run to recover relics.

Well today, in my opinion anyway, I hit the jackpot, I unearthed a WW2 dog tag that was lost at the camp.

Ive tracked the owner as being born in Edinburgh in 1922 and having enlisted to the Australian Army in NSW 1942.

http://www.ww2roll.gov.au/script/vet...teranID=241769

I think I need to return this tag, but where too?

Last edited by brickie in oz; 01-08-2011, 01:34 AM.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Re: POW camp.

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
    POW camp.
    There used to be a prisoner of war camp that was used in WW2 about 1 hours drive from my place, it also happens to be smack bang in the middle of an 1850's goldrush town.

The camp held Germans that were sunk off the coast and a few Italians, there are still a few remnants of the camp left, concrete floors bricks etc.

As I do on days off I take the metal detector for a run to recover relics.

Well today, in my opinion anyway, I hit the jackpot, I unearthed a WW2 dog tag that was lost at the camp.

Ive tracked the owner as being born in Edinburgh in 1922 and having enlisted to the Australian Army in NSW 1942.

WW2 Nominal Roll

I think I need to return this tag, but where too?

Sounds like an adventure. Finding him on your own would be a difficult thing to do, if still living, he would be almost 90 years old. The best solution is for you to send me your credit card and I'll fly over to Scotland and make inquiries for you. I'll report to you every few days or so. In case you're worried, I'll fly business class
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by Lburou View Post
      The best solution is for you to send me your credit card and I'll fly over to Scotland and make inquiries for you. I'll report to you every few days or so. In case you're worried, I'll fly business class
      It sounds like you are from Nigeria with such a kind offer...
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

The best solution is for you to send me your credit card and I'll fly over to Scotland and make inquiries for you. I'll report to you every few days or so. In case you're worried, I'll fly business class
        Such a kind and selfless offer of your time and detective skills. Hahahaha that is really a good one. Seriously though I would bet a family member would love to have them.

Comment

Originally posted by mn8tr View Post
          Such a kind and selfless offer of your time and detective skills. Hahahaha that is really a good one. Seriously though I would bet a family member would love to have them.
          The form you showed should have a field for next of kin at discharge....

If you don't send your credit card, you might find something on your own. I'd bet a Bing or Google search would reveal more than you expect.
          Lee B.
          DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Working...
          X