Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bambi

Not sure where to put this one
    Last edited by wotavidone; 03-30-2013, 02:05 AM.

Re: Bambi

I wouldn't use a. 22. Maybe a clean shot into the eye would drop it but most likely it will run off and
    die. I use a 3006 and aim for the neck.
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

If you have good aim, a head shot with a 22 is quick.

I have seen a few shot in the neck. If you miss the major artery, that deer is just gonna run away where you cant find him and die a slow death. Shoot for the lungs, its better.
      http://cookinginmyyard.com

Comment

You should use a .223 at a minimum as a poorly placed 22 mag shot will break a rib and not penetrate, not to mention that they are notoriously inaccurate after about 30 to 40 yards, IMHO. I personally hunt with a .308 which is a good all around rifle for everything except very large game (44 grain loads, 150 grain Nozzler boat tip partitions). On the other hand, babi will succumb to the 223 readily. Also, rounds are fairly inexpensive with those as many military use it as well.
        Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Comment

Originally posted by Jaronimo View Post
          If you have good aim, a head shot with a 22 is quick.

I have seen a few shot in the neck. If you miss the major artery, that deer is just gonna run away where you cant find him and die a slow death. Shoot for the lungs, its better.
          Interesting. Thats why I started going for the neck. I got tired of running after the bastards. The last two bagged were dead before I got to them. If you don't hit blood, you will hit a tendon or bone. They are pretty much down with a broken neck. I guess hunting is like building an oven - we all have our own approach.

Comment

Have not hunted since my teenage years (30+ yrs ago). Back then the state of Ohio over regulated white tail hunting, limiting hunters to primitive weapons and a 12 ga. with a slug barrel, no "high power" rifles as the state called anything else. Limit was 1 buck tag per weapon class (so the real top shots could get 2 deer per yr). Needless to say, by the time I moved away 15 yrs ago the population was exploding. A 12 ga. slug is effective, but you have to be close, over 75 yds and you would chase a wounded deer for miles, you might as well shoot for the sky.

RT

Comment

In a long lost parallel universe, long before one nutter with a rifle spoilt it for all law abiding shooters in Australia and basically got all firearms banned, I used to hunt, mainly foxes and rabbits.

Anyway, I was out spotlighting one night with my BIL, me spotting, him shooting when he unloaded a whole 10 shots from a semi auto .22 into......"shit I think I just shot a cow".......

I went back next morning and cut off some of the most amazing Venison off this big buck that he had dropped.

So yes a .22 is effective.
              The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                he unloaded a whole 10 shots from a semi auto .22
                what were you trying to do save on butcher charges by turning the deer into hamburger in the field?

Chip
                Chip

Comment

Originally posted by wotavidone
                  So I've had a closer look at my winchester. Its a cooey model 840 made in canada, and chambered for 3 inch rounds. Barrel is marked full choke. I'm guessing it might not be a good idea to use a solid slug in it. However, I've just been reading a wiki article that says buckshot is called buckshot because it was originally designed for deer hunting. I'm thinking 00 or 000 buckshot. Naturally the biggest I own are BB's. Any comments chaps?
                  You should be able to get away with 00 buckshot fo the size of the deer you are talking about. Years ago I used 00 in Virginia when I hunted. I assume that you have checked all of your local hunting regulations. Around here the game wardens have more power than the police and are not to be trifled with.

For the record, deer hunting in Ohio has expanded a bit from thirty years ago. Archery season goes from late in September until early February, you can use a compound bow or a crossbow. The first week of December is generally Shotgun season and they will typically have another weekend later in December to shotgun hunt as well. During shotgun season you may also use a handgun of caliber .357 or higher. Muzzleloader season is for four days during the second week in January.
                  You can take up to six deer during the season in my neck of the woods and since I am a land owner I need not purchase a license or tags, if hunting on my property.
                  That being said, I usually just let a couple of friends hunt my property and they generally give me some meat from their kills

Good luck and hunt safely
                  Last edited by Polo; 11-15-2011, 06:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wotavidone
                    Just found a website that suggests the best weapon for deer is a 1984 Chev Silverado.
                    I hit a buck going 60 MPH in a 1984 Dodge Ram Charger. This was in 1986 and it did $1500 in damage. Never found the deer, he ran off. No doubt he died, just not at the scene. For what appears to be a fragile and innocent animal - they are pretty damn tough.

Comment

Working...
                    X