Zen of Woodfire Ovens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zen of Woodfire Ovens

I'm rereading, after 37 years, The Art of Motorcycle Maintance by Robert M. Persig. It got me to thinking about the great changes in technology since the mid 70's and to wonder what other books or philosophys others have encountered that have influenced them while they work on their projects. Thanks. Gary
    Last edited by gmchm; 11-30-2011, 10:50 AM.

Re: Zen of Woodfire Ovens

That book made a very big impression on me when it was published. I still have it somewhere - need to find and reread. I was big into motorcycles at the time and picked it up to learn more about motorcycle maintenance. Little did I know what I was in for. Thanks for the reminder.

After being immersed in technology I have gotten bored with much of it - seems like a lot of change for the sake of change rather than qualitative improvement of life (or even things).

Lately, I read a lot of historical fiction and fantasy - wonderful escapes from the harsh realities of the present world. I just bought the first volume of Pogo comic strip reprints (published by Fantagraphics). If you grew up reading the Pogo strip in the newspaper, this is a must have ? turns out that possums, turtles, and such do some deep philosophical thinking.

Comment

Thanks for replying. I knew there had to be some philosophers out there somewhere, after reading the quotes on many of the user sites. I was thinking that mine might be, for the moment at least " The real oven you'er working on is the oven called yourself." If you grew up reading Pogo you have to be of my generaton. Sounds like the Pogo reprints would be something I would enjoy. Gary
      Last edited by gmchm; 11-30-2011, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Oddly enough, considering that I rode dirtbikes in the 70s and worked on them frequently, as well as read a book a day then and now, I have never enjoyed the mentioned book. I do not know why, since I have known of it since it's initial publication. I guess it is time to find a copy.

I do think that there is a Zen to cooking, especially in a non-linear appliance like a WFO or a grill or smoker, and it is hard for me to get across how I cook without recipes. The food is, thus it cooks.

My library:

tscarborough | LibraryThing

Comment

Re: Zen of .........

Try the _The Tao of Pooh_ if you like philosophy tied to the lives of cartoon or storybook characters
          Originally posted by Wikipedia

The book is intended as an introduction to the eastern belief system of Taoism for westerners. It allegorically employs the fictional characters of A. A. Milne's Winnie-the-Pooh stories to explain the basic principles of philosophical Taoism. Hoff later wrote The Te of Piglet, a companion book.
          Something there for all ages.
          Lee B.
          DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by wotavidone
            ....snip....
            Perhaps my finest books would be the hand written note books that belonged to a guy who learned assaying at the Port Pirie School of Mines in 1903. Pen and ink drawings of the glassware, and copperplate script describing the various analytical techniques. They were passed down from assayer to assayer, over a century of change, until they fell into my hands as the last Port Pirie Smelter trained assayer. And no up and coming trainee to give 'em to.
            Sounds like you should find a publisher
            Lee B.
            DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Thank you- I appreciate the reading ideas for the long wet winter evenings, not being to much of a TV person. Tscarsborough-Nice looking Library!
              Last edited by gmchm; 12-04-2011, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Zen and the Art...influenced me heavily as well, probably 25 years since I read it. My take away was, "pay attention to the quality of the details, and the big things fall into place". Seems to hold true!
                My Oven Thread:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

That's sort of my take as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X