Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Global warming?

Global warming?

Its like we are 1 season behind this year.

Here we are in the second week of summer and some nights were are shivering, is it just Melbourne that is unseasonably cold this year or everywhere?
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Re: Global warming?

We had the hottest, driest summer ever here in Texas. But, keep in mind, our space ship Earth is four Billion years old and our weather data barely spans 150-250 years. We really have no idea what the range of weather can be, or has been.

We certainly are continuing a warming cycle that has lasted more than 10,000 years. Weather extremes are no real surprise, although they can be downright unpleasant. The weather, whether changed by extra terrestial bombardment, or Earth's natural cycles, has managed to drive 99% of all flora and fauna to extiction. In the fullness of time, I expect that one day even humanity will be unable to survive and we will join the host of extinct species.

But not in our lifetime Al. Hang in there
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

When I was a young man, the local river would freeze over to where we could play hockey on it for two months every winter. It does not freeze over at all now. Texas gets less rain, here in NE Ohio we got 50% more last year. Does it have anything to do with the elevated CO2 levels? I have no idea but the weather here is different.

Comment

We just had a huge downpour last night. My rain gauge shows 145mm (almost 6")
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

The primary hurricane forecasters in the US just announced that they would no longer make an annual forecast, as a review of the last 20 years worth had shown them, "to be totally worthless".

If they can't predict hurricanes, then I have my doubts about climate modeling in general.

Comment

We live in a Hurricane (called Cyclones in the Sthn. Hemisphere) prone area. Cyclones have always been difficult to predict. They are by nature unpredictable, although the tracking and information that is available now via the net is very good. There is a mountain of evidence out there to support the theory that climate change is upon us. The unpredictability of Hurricanes is a weak argument to use to deny climate change.

Comment

Here in southern Ohio we are enjoying near 60 degrees for a couple of days.....

LOVIN' IT!!!

this time last year it was snowy, windy and freezing......

Comment

Wood fired ovens are "carbon neutral", so it is not our fault.

Comment

Wood fired ovens are "carbon neutral", so it is not our fault
                  It's no one's fault. "Global Warming" started much before the Industrial Revolution or invention of the internal combustion engine. Geologic analysis of polar ice samples reveals global warming cycles occurred at least as long as 18,000 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
                    It's no one's fault. "Global Warming" started much before the Industrial Revolution or invention of the internal combustion engine. Geologic analysis of polar ice samples reveals global warming cycles occurred at least as long as 18,000 years ago.
                    We wouldn't have gotten out of the Ice Age without a little global warming.

Comment

They, the geologists would say that we are in an ice age now and have been for 200,000 years. The normal condition for our planet is ice free everywhere, all those inland seas they show on the geologic maps are how our planet looks when all the water trapped in ice is water or water vapor. My understanding is that 99% of our planet's history is ice free. Ice ages are normal and have been going on for most of earth's history, what causes them is anyone's guess.

Comment

True, but why accelerate the process by adding heaps more. Surely if you were speeding towards a cliff it would be prudent to put on the brakes. Got kids or grand kids?

Comment

Its all the bread we are baking and the release of the carbon dioxide thats doing it.
                          Owwh and the bubbles from your beer......
                          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I think we are overpopulated and our present lifestyle is unsustainable. The worlds population grew by 30% from 6 billion to 7 billion between 1990 and 2010. That's a lot of bread and beer.

Comment

That is 15% growth, but it is still too high. The cliff analogy is false, a better one would be speeding down a hill, then up a hill, then down another, and you have no brakes anyway.

I am a Malthusian, personally, mainly because it is inevitable.

Comment

Working...
                              X