New Kitchen Knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Kitchen Knife

I got a Santoku knife for my birthday. It's a cross between a European chef's knife and an Asian cleaver. It's wide enough to pick up chopped vegetables, and it's vented for (I think) lighter weight and easier slicing. I'm enjoying it a lot. It's a great deal lighter than my Chinese cleaver and a little more versatile than my traditional chef's knife.

What do you chop, slice and dice with? Are folks getting into high end Japanese knives (I have a friend who swears by them), and does anyone have a ceramic knife and do you like it?

Knives and fire are two of my favorite things. Me caveman.

The is completely off topic, but did you see that they ran new MRI tests on the caveman that was defrosted in the glacier in the Alps. He had been in a fight died from an arrow in the back. Ouch. The Natural History Museum in Washington DC has redone their exhibit on him, and he had a stone knife in one hand and a battle axe in the other. He looked like he was ready for a gang fight in a bad neighborhood. Maybe things weren't so idyllic 5,000 years ago.

But hey, he got to cook with fire.
    James
    Last edited by james; 03-03-2007, 04:53 AM.
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: New Kitchen Knife

James..as soon as my wife and i saw your post we immediatly recognized that your knife is used all the time by Rachael Ray..The word Santoku translates to three virtues...These kinives are known for their wonderful chopping..mincing and dicing abilities...The scallops on the blade are not only for appearance but readily allow thin slices and food that are sticky to fall off..You have a very nice piece of equiptment..As for our slicing and dicing..We have 2 sts of knives..Chicago cutlery with carbon steel blades and walnut handles and a set of Henkel with serated stainless blades and plastic handles...i prefer the Chicago...the wife prefers the Henkel..just waiting for the weather to break here in NE Pennzylvania and its oven building time...

Comment

New Kitchen Knife in the back

Originally posted by james View Post
      the caveman that was defrosted in the glacier in the Alps
      But hey, he got to cook with fire.
      James
      (M) True, but he didn't have a propane starter flame!

Ciao,

Marcel
      "Everything should be made as simple as possible, ...
      but no simpler!" (Albert Einstein)

Comment

Vincent,
        Spring is coming. We had a lot of sunshine here today, a vision of things to come.

Marcel,
        I did you read the article that they have uncovered evidence that we've been using chilli peppers in our food for about 6,000 year. Maybe our caveman had a spicy meal that day. There's nothing new under the sun.

James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I have a wuhstoff (I think thats how its spelled) set and really like it. I dont know how they compare to the high end japanese cutlery, but sure beats the hell out of the serrated set that it replaced (nice balance, hold an edge well) but if you need to cut off an exhaust pipe and then slice a tomato paper thin..... Your out of luck.

Comment

I have a Ginsu which I use to cut tin cans in half.

Comment

I like the Lamsonsharp line of knives - and they now have a santuko, I shall have to give it a whirl

Keith

Comment

I read a review of the Forschner/Victorinox fibrox chef's knife in Cook's Illustrated, and bought the 10-inch. It's my favorite all purpose knife, by far.

I have a 10-inch Shun chef's knife that I save for the times I need a disturbingly sharp knife.
                -Chris-
                I'm building a Pompeii Oven in Austin, Texas. See my progress at:
                Il Forno Fumoso

Comment

I have a couple of Lamson knives, including my main chef's knife and a couple of paring knives. I really like them. Very traditional shape and style. I keep experimenting where a chef's knife and Santoku work best.

I still have my Ikea cleaver -- weighs a ton, so I only use it for serious hacking.

James
                  Pizza Ovens
                  Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Re: New Kitchen Knife Carbon steel

I posted this somewhere else on the forum and now I cannot even find it . I should have posted it here . I just got a set of hand made carbon steel kitchen knives froma man who is a master bladesmith and I am in love with the way they work. This is the kind of steel that tarnishes and holds a great edge . I bought a 9 inch knife , a boning knife , a cleaver and a 5 inch knife my wife has taken for her own. H Cocobollo handles and brass . Very reasobaley priced also . Highly recommended - he sells from his web site only at Wildfire Cutlery - Carbon Steel Kitchen Knife Maker . His name is Michael and tell him Fausto sent you . Cheap compared to Euro ...

Comment

Working...
                    X