Rootkit Scam Alert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rootkit Scam Alert

I had a strange experience the other night.
    I went to buy a new TV over the net, and when I tried to pay for it with Paypal, a window popped up, asking for credit card number, D.O.B., ATM pin and other personal information. Somewhat confused, I cancelled out of there.
    (I've always made it a rule not put that info on the net. My Paypal is linked to a bank account I only ever top up with cash. None of my other accounts are even with the same bank.)
    It looked like a real Paypal page, too.
    So I decided to have a look on Ebay. When I logged on, presto, a similar page that looked like a real EBay page asked me to confirm my identity with credit card number, ATM pin, etc.
    So I didn't get anything off EBay either.
    A surf on the net shows that this is a scam that has been going on for some years. It's a rootkit, whatever that is.
    It got past my anti-virus, etc.
    4 different virus checkers later, I still hadn't found anything on my harddrive.
    I asked the IT boys at work, who shuddered and said, "Unless you know exactly what it's called, we can't help you."
    So, I did some more research and found MalwareBytes Anti-Rootkit. Its the beta version, so it is "use at own risk". It found 5 infections. I fixed all of them, now I can log-in to Ebay.
    Beware the root-kit, and whatever you do, don't fill that page in when it pops up.

Re: Rootkit Scam Alert

Thanks for the alert. It always amazes me that these people who are obviously sharp, just don't go into the private sector and make 6 figures honestly. I put my motor home up for sale a while back and got slammed with a paypal scam. They kept bugging me for my paypal address so they could give me money. I finally got rid of them by telling them to deposit the money at eatshit@paypal.com - they went away...
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Always a good idea to report it to PayPal:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?c...stion4-outside
      Un amico degli amici.

Comment

Viruses are the main reason so many people have switched to Apple. They use a superior operating system that's harder for hackers to get into.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Bugger, I thought you were giving me a link to a root kit.......
          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
            Bugger, I thought you were giving me a link to a root kit.......
            You'll need an air pump for one of those.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
            X