Coffee and espresso machines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffee and espresso machines

Coffee is as important in the big scheme of things as pizza. I can't even imagine a day without a cappucino. What do you do? Go to a coffee bar (an expensive habit!) or make your own. Do you have a machine? A grinder? Where do you get your beans? Do you use it every day, or just on weekends?

Inquiring minds want to know.

To kick things off, I have a manual La Pavoni at our rental house here, and buy pre-ground Illy. I used to buy Lavazza Gold, but the grind of the Illy works better with my machine and the flavor it great -- despite the fact that it is incredibly expensive. Oh well, small luxuries. I have a Rancillio back in the states, and am thinking of getting a grinder and finding locally roasted beans when we get back. Or I might keep buying Illy beans. For now, I am in good shape.

Because I work from home, I make a couple of cappucino's every day, and we go to a local coffee bar once a week or so. I've taken a couple of coffee making lessons from Michael, and he helped a lot. My crema on my coffee is better, and my steamed milk is a lot more creamy, with tighter air holes.

What do you do?
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: Coffee and espresso machines

We have a Pavoni here too. It's a sixties one. We got it on Ebay for four hundred. My room mate just brought back some Kona coffee from Maui, and it's outstanding. We still go to the local coffee shop every day.

Comment

I buy green beans and roast them on the BBQ grill in a device that attaches to the rotisserie. Takes a bit of practice, but well worth it for taste and cost. Brewing is with an Rancillio Silvia.

We have a café au lait every morning and a double shot of espresso after dinner.

Comment

Tom,
        That's for me. What a great idea. Where do you get the DIY roaster?
        James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I have a capresso c1000. It is a model that is not made anymore, but I love it. Grinds, tamps, brews, and cleans itself, and makes great espresso. I have been drinking 1-2 tiny espressos every morning. Much smaller and more concentrated since my trip to Italy...

Edited: Also using Lavaza Gold whole beans in this

Drake
          Last edited by DrakeRemoray; 03-05-2007, 09:03 AM. Reason: Add beans!
          My Oven Thread:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

James,

This is the roaster I'm using:

eBay: COFFEE ROASTER DRUM for BBQ roast green coffee beans (item 190087816122 end time Mar-10-07 08:42:59 PST)

The nice thing about roasting your own is that you can pick the blend you like best and roast it the way you like it. I use Decatur Street Blend from Riley's Coffee and Fudge, but there are many other places that sell green espresso blends.

Tom

Comment

My problem is that I am the only one drinking coffee [of any type] in my house.

For espresso and like beverages I use Illy [like James] and a Pasquini Livia 90 and really like it. I got it through a half price promotion that Illy was doing.

I have a grinder/doser [Italian also] that I haven't even taken out of the box as I have no place to put it and would grind so little fresh coffee that it may not be practical.

J W

Comment

Tom,
                The roaster looks great. I can't wait to try it; that's going to be one of the firs things I try when we get back. I even need a new Weber grill.
                Thanks again for the tip on that.
                James
                Pizza Ovens
                Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Working...
                X