Avoidiing Salmonella Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avoidiing Salmonella Issues

Richard?s post on the slow cooked goat got me to thinking ....so I did some research and put together some info on salmonella: The 60/140 temperature threshold was noted in a few places. I think a lot of the prevention is common sense but it can?t hurt to review, particularly for us slow roasters.

Salmonellae are frequent causes of food born illnesses especially from poultry and raw eggs and more generally from food and meats that have been cooked or frozen, and not eaten straight away. The prevention of Salmonella as a food illness involves effective sanitizing of food contact surfaces and proper cooking.

So??Preventing salmonella infection:

Pay attention to cleanliness.

? Wash hands, kitchen work surfaces, and utensils with soap and water immediately after they have been in contact with foods of animal origin. (Vaughn bleaches after chicken work)
    ? Always wash your hands with soap after going to the toilet and before preparing food. Dry them on a dry towel. (Also, wash hands with soap after handling reptiles, amphibians or birds, or after contact with pet feces.)
    ? Wash your hands and utensils when you switch from preparing one type of food to another, eg vegetables to meat. This helps prevent the exchange of bacteria between different ingredients
    ? Never crack a raw egg on a bowl containing other foods - use a knife to crack the shell. In most eggs, the salmonella bacteria exist only on the shell. Eggs should be scalded in boiling water for five seconds before use.
    ? Change the dishcloth every day. Wash dishcloths in water that is at least 60 degrees C or 140 degrees F.
    ? Alcohol is an effective topical sanitizer against Salmonella. (And I always cook with wine!, maybe that's the secret)

Make sure that all food is thoroughly cooked.

? To prevent salmonellosis, cook poultry, ground beef, and eggs thoroughly before eating. The only effective way to kill salmonella bacteria is with heat.....for this reason it is essential to cook or boil food thoroughly.
    ? In order to insure that eggs do not contain viable Salmonella they must be cooked at least until the yoke is solid, and meat and poultry must reach 160?F or greater throughout. (Be particularly careful with foods prepared for infants, the elderly, and those with a compromised immune system.)
    ? Store food in the refrigerator. Meat, poultry and fish must not be left out of the fridge for long periods.

Hey, they're some good guidelines.

I've got to believe that the slow cooked meat is okay as long as you exceed the 60/140 threshold. (Using fresh cleaned meats of course)

I wonder if there is enough alcohol content in my wine marinades to make a difference?

Now ...some Steak Tartare anyone?

Jim
    sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Re: Avoidiing Salmonella Issues

Oh ho ho I have to find the site about a Yank that went to Belgium and had some Steak Tartar very vivid something about a very long worm

Comment

Working...
    X