latest wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• latest wood

It's rare that I have to purchase wood for my WFO and with four of our five acres basically woodland I rarely do. However, we had some friends over for pizza a week or so back and one of the guys mentioned that he had some maple logs for sale. The wood was from some trees that he dropped for a friend. He said it was western curly and he had taken around some samples to several of the local wood workers and wood merchants and that none were interested, so he was offering it as firewood. Later my wife and I talked it over and decided and that we would call and, if he didn't have any other people committed for the wood, that we would like to buy it.

Upon slabbing and starting spitting the wood the quality of the curly pattern was amazing. Odd that none of the local wood merchants or cabinet makers were interested. But I contacted a friend who turns bowls and he is swapping some madrone for some slabs off the rounds.

Bests,
    Wiley

Re: latest wood

Maybe you should slab a couple. They would make dynamite peels and cutting boards.
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

Woodworkers wood sell their first born just to have a look at that wood over here.

Stick it on ebay.
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Wow, its a shame to burn that. I agree...slab some 4" or more thick x4'. Put some sticks in between the layers in a dry place.....Gun stocks! You should see what that stuff looks like with some analine dye and oil on it....
        " Life is art, live a masterpiece"

Comment

All the wood has been cut into lengths about 14 inches long. The thing about it's value is finding the right buyer. The man I bought it all from is no dummy and really tried to find a buyer for the wood for it's intrinsic value as curly maple. To actually find someone who will open their wallet... well not so many were stepping forward. It's not like a price couldn't be negotiated... there were no buyers.

30 years ago I crafted a jewelry box out of some similar wood. Dove tail joins and French finish of hand rubbed shellac. Hours and hours of sanding by hand as with the grain changing from going with to against and any power tool burns one of the two directions of the grain almost instantly. Any cutting tools have to be razor sharp and moisture content of the wood just right. I learned my lesson on that box. I'll take kauri or even vertical grain fir over curly maple.

But yes, it is beautiful when properly done. That's a beautiful gunstock. And here's a photo of a Dale Perry pool cue in curly maple that I picked up at our local Goodwill not long ago*. I contacted Dale Perry with photos to see if it really was one of his cues not a fraud. Yes, he responded, he built it about three years ago. The sticker price is not what I paid...I get senior discount... so 20% off. Check out his website for what he asks for one of his cues...although he sells cues on ebay for significantly less.

There is value in the wood but the labor making something out of it is where the real value is created IMHO. And like the pool cue, price is extremely variable. I posted the photos of the wood as it is uncommon and beautiful but it's still becoming firewood. Although I will save out a large block (free of heart/center) 14 x 22 x 78 of the really nice patterned stuff. Although for what exactly I haven't a clue. I know if I burn it all I'll think of something and kick myself for not saving some.

Bests,
          Wiley

*The rest of those cues are Dufferin and all but one came from thrift stores. The one came with my table.

Comment

Nice score Wiley, I was pretty excited about my deal until reading of yours. I just found out my employer has been struggling to get drivers to take back pallets that hold the steel components used in our manufacturing. I agreed to take the first 26 pallet stack, all perfectly measure out to be 2' x 2', each having three 4"x4" white oak runners or supports topped with 5 slat of 1/2" thickness. All are brand new, kiln dried, and heat treated for bugs. Literally used one time for the deliver of the clean Stainless components we use in manufacturing. Other than removing 30 nails from each, I have scored the perfect lumber source - FREE, kiln dried, and bug treated.
            RT

Comment

Wow, you really scored with that pool que..I just checked out some prices. I get the no buyers thing...it's a tough market for handcrafted anything these days, and you can't sell the best product in the world if the perceived value is low. We are living in a walmart culture.

When I see raw material like that my brain starts thinking about all the cool stuff that could be made..custom peels, cutting boards, serving trays..etc,etc.

At the very least, you have yourself some great firewood.
              Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
              John Ruskin

Comment

Working...
              X