Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planned Route 66 trip for 2014

Hi all,
    I am planning a trip to the US in May 2014 where I buy a low mileage Harley and do the "Mother of roads", Route 66. A 4 to 6 week trip should suffice where I get to see and experience all that the road and surrounds could offer, hopefully travelling to Chicago where I plan on purchasing the bike and travelling to LA, the complete Route 66. From there, I plan on riding up the coast to Morrow Bay and drop in on my brother for a few days, returning to LA where I put the bike into a crate for Australia,
    Who knows, I might even get time to visit James and a few other members as I don't have a defined time line.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated, I have the 2013 updated EZ66 Route 66 guide for travellers an the maps of the road through the 8 states, so I should find my way easily especially with a new GPS that I plan to put on the bike.

Cheers for now.

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Re: Planned Route 66 trip for 2014

get your kicks
    Ive done parts of it many years ago in a car

Comment

That sounds like a great trip. I'm more of a Vespa in Italy kinda guy though. Will you convert the Harley to right hand drive when you get it home?

When you're over there, I presume you are taking long service leave, be sure to tell them all how all Australians qualify for 10 weeks LSL on full pay after 10 years of service. I think Australia is pretty unique in this regard.
      Last edited by david s; 10-18-2013, 04:58 AM.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Hi David,

I presume you are taking long service leave
        No, I took a package almost 4 years ago from the government, I had 3 years before retiring and they gave me 2 1/2 years salary to finish early. Got bored in semi retirement, so I started up my own business which has earned me substantial time off for good behaviour, (ie. hard work 7 days a week). So I'm taking a couple of months off to do the solo trip, probably meet others on the road with similar itinerary. Bring the bike home to join the clubmans (well at least I hope to sell one of them before I go) 2 big boys toys then to play with.

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
        Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

Ya better check to see if the country is still open before you come....
          " Life is art, live a masterpiece"

Comment

Sounds great!!

By the way, it is spelt "Morro" Bay! we have good friends who live there and we just got back from a great trip there. Don't miss visiting Avila Beach!

Also, don't forget that it can still be pretty cold in Chicago in May. Bring some good leathers!

Comment

Might need to purchase leathers over there, although some private sellers have all the gear thrown in with their bikes. Will wait and see what happens.i don't want to take too much with me as I will need to carry it on the bike.
              Cheers
              Neill

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
              Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

I am wondering how one gets a drivers license? International? or from the state that you apply from? Also, what kind of clubman?
                " Life is art, live a masterpiece"

Comment

You will go right through Oatman California on Route 66 where wild burros roam the city streets, if you call it a city. Be sure to bring carrots! It is quite a site.
                  Russell
                  Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by thickstrings View Post
                    I am wondering how one gets a drivers license? International? or from the state that you apply from?
                    USRS Frequently asked questions - Travel and tourism | Embassy of the United States Canberra, Australia
                    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

We got an international licence before traveling in Europe where we hired cars in Greece, Italy, France, Switzerland, England and Ireland. Not once were we asked to show an international licence. Hire companies only requested my State Australian license. it may be a different matter if questioned by police though. It does seem odd to me that you can hire a vehicle without demonstrating either a licence to drive in that country or knowledge or testing of the local road rules.
                      Have a safe trip.
                      Last edited by david s; 10-19-2013, 06:25 PM.

Comment

5 weeks and counting down.
                        I saw my mate off on monday night, he's over there making sure that the sights are worth seeing, motor homing for 3 months and will meet up on 66.
                        My Harley is ready, a 2009 Softail Heritage with 549 miles on the clock, will double that in first day when I ride to Niagara Falls and then back to Chicago where I start a 4 week trip along Route 66.
                        Any one for a chat and coffee along the way???

Neill

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                        Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                          We got an international licence before traveling in Europe where we hired cars in Greece, Italy, France, Switzerland, England and Ireland. Not once were we asked to show an international licence. Hire companies only requested my State Australian license. it may be a different matter if questioned by police though. It does seem odd to me that you can hire a vehicle without demonstrating either a licence to drive in that country or knowledge or testing of the local road rules.
                          Have a safe trip.
                          We ended up buying a camper in Europe and selling it at the end
                          We tried to hire one in the US for a few months,they didnt want to so we ended up buying one there to and selling it.
                          Problem was getting insurance on an international licence.
                          Took a million phone calls to finally get cover

Comment

Yes, I had the dame problem. It was easier but much more expensive to purchase insurance from England and Holland that to was from the US until I contacted Progressive instance by phone, got transferred to the agent in Indiana (the state where i purchased the bike) and everything happened so easily and much cheaper than any other company, including several within the US.
                            It is now crazy that with Travel insurance, no company will insure you if you ride, hire or own a bike over 200cc's!

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                            Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

Originally posted by nissanneill View Post
                              Yes, I had the dame problem. It was easier but much more expensive to purchase insurance from England and Holland that to was from the US until I contacted Progressive instance by phone, got transferred to the agent in Indiana (the state where i purchased the bike) and everything happened so easily and much cheaper than any other company, including several within the US.
                              It is now crazy that with Travel insurance, no company will insure you if you ride, hire or own a bike over 200cc's!
                              That's because old farts like us have a greater tendency to fall off the things. Go carefully.
                              As far as "dame problems" go, I think we all share those.
                              Last edited by david s; 04-11-2014, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X