$1300/lb Truffles anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $1300/lb Truffles anyone?

This was from a store window in Paris last month selling black truffles for 2200 Euros a kilo....

I don't get it but I don't like mushrooms anyway!

XJ
    sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Re: $1300/lb Truffles anyone?

My best friend is a chef, living in London, who does function work for the Royal family a handfull of times a year. Apparently, a few truffles per function become surplus after these functions because of my friends miscalculations. I've never benifitted from these oversights, but with a little timing and luck, one will happen this april when I visit.

On a side note, there is a quite successful, fledgling truffle industry in Tasmania.. They use dogs, as the pigs tend to eat the truffles when they find them.

Comment

At that price, if the pig ate the truffle I'd be eating bacon.

Comment

When you have a little of this shaved over scrambled eggs in the morning you tend to forget the price. Have only enjoyed this experience twice, but both times was woprth the extravagance.

WHte truffles from Alba are even more expensive!

Comment

Richard:

I am NOT going to let my wife see your post!!!!

sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

Did you hear the story about the $50,000 truffle that went bad? A famous UK restaurant (Zafferano I think) bought what at the time was the world's most expensive truffle -- a white Alba. But then they stored it wrong, and it went bad. Ouch.

In the end I think they re-planted it in Tuscany, hoping it would revive itself.

So don't feel bad the next time you throw away some spoiled cheese!
            James
            Last edited by james; 03-21-2007, 05:55 AM.
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Last year I stopped in a gourmet store across the street from Pike Place in Seattle. The saleswoman asked if she could put a few grains of Truffle Salt on my hand for me to try. One lick and you will spend the $30 or so on a cheap way to put the taste of truffle on anything.

Comment

Working...
              X