What is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this?

I ran accross this at a garden store in Sedona. At first I thought it was a fireplace but it has some sort of grill in it. Any clues??

Les...
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Re: What is this?

Les,

Umm, let's see. I've got it: mature pet rock. Am I close ?

Jim
    "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Two story Chihuahua condo?

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
      [/CENTER]

Comment

Both great guesses - but I am still at a loss. If it is a grill, it looks like a pain in the ass to use. That's probably why there was only one and it's still for sale.

Les...
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

maybe a crude attempt at a Tuscan grill? Or it could just be the pet rock, wearing a 'stovepipe' hat.

Comment

It's a grill. Works awsome. I was invited a couple of friends houses in Tuscany & thats how they barbeued. Start a fire behind the grill plate & drag the hot embers forward as you need more heat. An ash pan in front collects the spent embers.

Comment

I thought those tended to be open on the top, or at most had a hood -- rather than a tight dome. Very interesting.

Here is a commercial Tuscan grill, where they have a cast iron grate it the back to hold the wood fire, and as Balty says -- they pull the coals forward. It shows wear and tear, but you get the idea.

http://www.fornobravo.com/pizza_oven...ce-grill1.html

I am thinking of building something like that. We could move this thread into the Grill category. :-)
              James
              Pizza Ovens
              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I would think that tight dome would be a hindrance to cooking - of course most of us (including me) manipulate the food far too much on an open grill anyway. My burgers have mad a quantum leap forward in taste since I started following the "touch-it-only-twice" rule (once to flip and once to remove).

Still that thing looks too low for getting at the food and too open to act as a heat reflector. Curious.
                "You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six."

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

If you build it, they will buy it!

There are a lot of consumers out there!!
                  sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

If they build it, I will probably buy it!
                    Over the years I seem to have accrued a great assortment of outdoor cooking devices and barbecues. Stashed in the garden shed somewhere is a little foldaway grill I once bought called the "Ecology Barbecue" which used just scrunched up balls of newspaper.
                    It worked on the principle of falling fat from the food kept the paper burning. As you cooked you just kept adding balls of paper occasionally. It worked quite well, especially with things like sausages and lamb chops.
                    Every time I used it at a picnic friends would be amazed at how well and quickly it would work.
                    I must see if it is still in the shed.
                    Cheers
                    Bill
                    Tutto Fumo e niente arrosto!

Comment

I'm going to try my solar oven sometime soon. It's a silver car visor that you make into a cone and shove in a bucket. Add grill, put food in pot and pot in bag and bag on grill then shove the whole thing in the sun and wait a few hours.

Yes, really....
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                      [/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                      X