Wood storage entry height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood storage entry height

What do you think the minimum acceptable height would be. Mine is looking to come in around 28 inches. Can some of you post your numbers to see if I'm close. I'm an average size guy but I don't want to be skinning my chin getting wood.

Thanks,

Les...
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Re: Wood storage entry height

Les,

My main wood storage area is around the back of the oven, as I have incorporated an ash pit at the front below the vent landing. In addition to which, my ground steps down three brick courses from the oven slab to the main outdoor kitchen area & oven entry point. So I've ended up with only 27" and I would have dearly liked more! If it wasn't for the step down, I could have achieved a height of 35".

I'm not looking forward to retrieving wood right at the back of the wood storage area, which is four feet deep. Definitely a hands and knees job. At least with the smooth steel flooring which supports the hearth slab, I may minimise abrasions to my balding head (but not the bruises)!

If possible, I'd recommend you go higher.

Cheers, Paul.

Comment

a sheetmetal mate of mine mentioned a big pull out box on rollers - kind of like a big pull out drawer. Bit keen for me

I only put the cut/split wood under mine which are about 12inches long....and few inches thick. I've worked out how to throw them in there (under oven) into a reasonable pile (off the wheelbarrow). Then to get them out I grab them with my fire poker which has a hook on the end. Probably not the absolute neatest method but I can get enough timber in there to stoke the oven about 3 times.....
      Cheers
      Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

The pullout tray almost sounds like one of those storage trays you put under your kids' beds. I wonder if there is an off-the-shelf solution for that? Something on casters.
        James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Industrial casters on a wood box frame? ~shrug~

I'm thinking of putting openings on both the front and back with the back at least having a door to keep things dry. That way I can reach everything. The problem with the tray is you can't store as much unless you're Superman - wood does have weight. For me I couldn't store much more than a few firings worth - ninety pound weakling here (although I only wish I weighed ninety pounds! ~sigh~). No way I could pull out even a half cord of wood without a winch.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
          [/CENTER]

Comment

Thanks for the input! I see a lot of openings that are 3 block high, mine sets at 4. That makes it a little easier but it's still tight. I like the roll out tray idea, I might play with that when I find all my extra time.

Les...

Comment

Les, When you find the secret to extra time...be sure to take good notes and pictures and SHARE......next to the fountain of youth and money trees, that is probably the most elusive goal in life.

The wood storage, mine is 3 blocks high - 24" wide. I'm on my hands and knees pulling out wood for every fire...but I knew that when I built it. One of those things I really didn't think through; I was happy the basic plans allowed for covered wood storage.
              Now, like everyone else, I'm thinking how things could be better or how I will build my next oven differently....did I just say 'next oven'??? Someone slap some sense into me, I'm still recovering from this build.

RT

Comment

Hey Les,

One other thing. Unless your hearth is unusually thick, I would put more effort into calculating the cooking floor height and than the wood store dimensions. Get the cooking floor where you want it, and let the wood storage fall out from that.

Helpful?

OK, forget casters -- ball bearing glides (like the under-glide kitchen drawers) for the woodstore. What do you think?
                James
                Pizza Ovens
                Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

All,

Frankly, I went to considerable effort in getting my under oven opening as large as I could, once the hearth height was determined. In practice, I don't use the area for wood storage at all. Instead, I use it for a large ash pail. Behind that, I've stored extra brick, brick sand and covered pails of various cements: Portland, Type N, Type S, because it's so dry back there.

For wood storage, I built a separate woodshed close by that has enough gaps in it for air circulation so the wood seasons properly. A woodshed needen't be anything elaborate: roof board sides, 2 x 6 floor, metal roof. Just a thought.

Jim
                  "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

My cooking floor will be around 40 inches - I recall this being the target height.

I'm not aware of any economical drawer slides that can support the weight. Another option would be angle iron and grooved casters. The problem with that is the tracks would have to extend beyound the storage area. I have an extra garage door opener laying around. That could be the ticket. Just press the button on the FOB and your wood rolls out - how cool would that be?

Les...

Comment

Thats the ticket.....Les, if you don't try it, someone in the group will. Maybe get it to rise up after it clears the opening......no sense in bending over if you don't have to.
                      Sounds like we are only a couple of electic motors, servos, switches, and maybe a couple of pneumatic or hydraulic actuators away from perfection.

Where are the engineers when you need them???

Comment

have to say wise advise from James about getting your cooking height right.
                        If you are able to see whatever is cooking when you are standing back chatting to someone (and sipping some wine) its easier to keep on eye on things so they don't burn.

rather than bending over to look all the time....... and spilling your drink
                        Cheers
                        Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Originally posted by CanuckJim View Post
                          All,

Frankly, I went to considerable effort in getting my under oven opening as large as I could, once the hearth height was determined. In practice, I don't use the area for wood storage at all. Instead, I use it for a large ash pail. Behind that, I've stored extra brick, brick sand and covered pails of various cements: Portland, Type N, Type S, because it's so dry back there.

For wood storage, I built a separate woodshed close by that has enough gaps in it for air circulation so the wood seasons properly. A woodshed needen't be anything elaborate: roof board sides, 2 x 6 floor, metal roof. Just a thought.

Jim
                          I like the wood shed idea - I can think of a number of other things to store under the oven - stuff I don't need as often.

On the drawer thing - maybe those glide thingies that you use to move heavy furniture?

(Okay, not really - I'd still go with industrial casters were I so inclined.)
                          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by RTflorida View Post
                            Thats the ticket.....Les, if you don't try it, someone in the group will. Maybe get it to rise up after it clears the opening......no sense in bending over if you don't have to.
                            Sounds like we are only a couple of electic motors, servos, switches, and maybe a couple of pneumatic or hydraulic actuators away from perfection.

Where are the engineers when you need them???
                            Why not just put in a rear door and use a screw jack to lift up the back end when you want the wood to slide forward?

:teeth:

[/CENTER]

Comment

Absolutely, cooking height is more important.
                              I think Les may be looking for adaptations to the standard Pompeii plans that allow for easier (less bending and crawling for wood) wood access.
                              As I stated, that would be a consideration in my planning any future oven build. I know right now I find myself building my ititial fire, then stacking wood next to the entry (which takes up the space needed for my IR, gloves, log tongs, pizza waiting to go in, etc).
                              Doing things again, I think I would encorporate an upper chamber for holding at least a dozen logs or so; keeping me off my knees during cooking and not using the limited yet valuable space outside my entry. I would also either use the bottom as I do now for wood or have a seperate "wood shed" for the bulk of my wood.....Although my wife was emphatic on that issue - no wood shed, no make shift wood storage area.

Comment

Working...
                              X