Wood storage entry height

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wood storage entry height

Damn it RT, I am an engineer (star trek pun). I'm on the electronic side - not a gear head.

I think the rolling out idea with an opener would work. An overhead opener can span a distance of 6 feet, more then enough - and it should have the torque. With my current width and height, I could load 1/4 of a cord in the tray, that will last a few burns.

I just need to get to that point and find the holy grail of spare time that you were talking about.

Les...
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

sorry Scottie.....I mean Les. I'm reporting to sick bay, get my head examined

Comment

All,

Just another thought relative to sliders for wood storage. There are two stage sliders out there, heavy duty, that need not extend beyond the opening when slid all the way back. Think of them as a slider within a slider. I've seen them used on utility trucks to hold tool bins. One source would be Lee Valley Tools, although I'm sure there are others.

Jim
        "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

I'm trying to visualize how you'd get a garage door opener to do that - drawing a blank here.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
          [/CENTER]

Comment

My wood storage opening will be about 28 inches tall and oven floor about 44 inches give or take an inch to be determined when I lay my patio pavers...

After putting all that rebar in the hearth, I wonder why I bothered with lintels......

I could have had an extra block height of opening space.....
            Last edited by christo; 06-26-2007, 08:36 AM.
            My oven progress -
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
            sigpic

Comment

Do we have a mechanical or structure engineer in the group who can do calculations on load bearing for the block stand and concrete hearth. The lintels in the stand are intentional over-kill so that there would be no issues with the span over the wood storage.

It's easy and expensive to build the lintel, so it seems like the right design trade-off.

What do you think about the course of blocks in the lintel? Do they take up too much space in the wood store?

Of course if someone were to want to build without it, and can do the load calculation to their satisfaction, you could always built it without the lintel. Some builders have that, though the really build up the structural concrete layer much thicker.

What do you think?

Cooking height is definitely the first consideration.

James
              Pizza Ovens
              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Working...
              X