Flies!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flies!!

How does everyone deal with the constant annoyance of flies when cooking outside? It is always nice and quiet until I get the pizza prep area set up then the flies start haunting me. We had pizza last Sunday and my father had the official role of fly swatter while I made pizzas.

Anyone have any thoughts...I was at a BBQ restaurant in Oklahoma and then had pennies in a clear bag of water hanging near the door...they told me it keeps flies away. I've also heard of putting fresh ginger in a bowl of water on the table (in Hawaii).

Jay

Re: Flies!!

Jay,

You might try honey on a plate some distance from your prep area. They can't resist and get stuck. Worth a try, anyhow.

Jim
    "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Hey Jay,

Is there a chance you have one main source of flies? We had a horse paddock relative nearby, and we used fly parasites to help get it under control. It definitely helped.

Biocontrol Network - Biological Fly Control - Fly parasites/predators, beneficial nematodes, fly traps, dusts, sprays

James
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Jay, similar problem here. I'm very used to the well known FL bug problems. Until I built my oven, flies were NEVER an issue.
        The weird thing is...they only come around when I am burning hickory.....and only if I have let it smoke a bit. Small black flies. Smoke from the initial start up (kindling) does not attract them, only smoking hickory......If someone had told me this I would say they were nuts (maybe I am). weird but true

Comment

Hey guys, I didn't think that the US sufferred from the dredded fliy attack!
          In the great Australian outback, they are so chronic that you have to eat in your vehicle and constantly wear a hat net to keep the pesky blighters at bay.
          Good to see that somebody esle has similar experiences.
          I have been using the oven for a couple of week ends but not one fly, at least that i noticed anyway, although itis pretty cold here at the moment, 4? to18?C daily.
          I have a UV sentenial bug zapper to keep them away around the back door entertainment area. They are attracted to the blueish UV light and are zapped with a high voltage screen around the light. Ads to the smell of sizzling bugs but the moths can get a but on the nose at times.

Neill
          Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
          Neill’s kitchen underway
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Invest in screens.

Well, you asked...
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
            [/CENTER]

Comment

Wasn't an option before the oven build (and discovering smoking hickory attracts them) and certainly isn't an option now.
              Incorporating a code compliant screen enclosure with my oven would have added a minimum of $3000 to the costs, not to mention permits and inspections which were not needed for just the oven. To add one now would probably double that cost......Not to mention my home owners association, they wouldn't be too thrilled with a second screen enclosure - this one in the middle of my back yard.
              Oh, did I mention my home owners insurance, just mention a screen enclosure in FL and your rates will go up 25%.

I think I will put up with the flies, if I'm dumb enough to let the wood start to smoke in the future.

Comment

I was being facetious (well, somewhat). Try the temporary pavilion type for your actual food prep area - that will at least eliminate the need for an official fly swatter and since you only need take it down afterwards the HA shouldn't be upset.

I need a less dry sense of humor... ~sigh~
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                [/CENTER]

Comment

Jay,

I've seen the bag thing at many restaurants in the Dallas area. The explanation is that the sunlight refracted through the bag combined with the particulars of a fly's eye's takes on the appearance of spider webs. The flies in theory then avoid the area. I don't know what the purpose of the penny would be unless it is to help reflect light. Having said that, I've never heard whether or not it actually works!

Comment

Here are a few links with some explainations. It looks like a lot of people are convinced it works but no one is really sure why. If only we could get rid of wasps so easy.

Odd method persuades flies to fly away / Hanging water bag looks strange, but for some reason it repels pests

Straight Dope Staff Report: What's the purpose of bags of water hanging in restaurants?

The Urban Pantheist
                    Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

When it's bad, and sometimes it is, I will bring out the oscillating fan and plug it in on the outdoor kitchen.

Comment

Many civilizations to this day eat insects as part of their diet. Anyone for a nice piece of 'Fly Pizza'? OK, that's just DISGUSTING!!!! We've got mosquitos in the summer and little moths if the fall and winter are warm enough. The 'fan thing' works pretty good.
                        Rick
                        View my pictures at, Picasaweb.google.com/xharleyguy

Comment

Yup, flies aren't much of a problem in the NW. Bees and wasps, on the other hand can be brutal.

I loved my bug zapper (at night) when I lived in FL. It's good sport too, watching those critters fry as they touch the light
                          GJBingham
                          -----------------------------------
                          Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

yep, flies, mosquitos, etc. all suck. i just started construction on a screened in porch that will house a wood fired oven. hope the fire marshal likes pizza!

Comment

That, and a $100 should do the trick!
                              GJBingham
                              -----------------------------------
                              Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Working...
                              X