Patio slope Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patio slope Question

I'm getting to the point where it is time to put the patio in around the WFO.

The ground where the patio is going to be slopes 24 inches over the 50ft length of the patio. I'd like to avoid breaking up the patio on two levels or making a small retaining wall (w/steps) on the end of the patio.

I have read where one would want 1 inch drop over each 4 to 8 ft of run to ensure good drainage. But I can't seem to find anything on the maximum allowable slope or maximum desired slope.

Before I start walking the neighborhood with my patio furniture and level to find a driveway with similar slopes, Is there a rule of thumb for maximum slope of a Patio? (Where one does not feel like they are walking on a boat?)

Thanks!!

Christo
    My oven progress -
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
    sigpic

Re: Patio slope Question

That may be a bit steep. The geniuses that landscaped my backyard has a drop of 11 inches over 25 feet TOWARD the house. Nice drainage indeed.

A 1977 do it yourself book says for drainage a 5 inch drop in 100 feet is sufficient

The Complete Book of Garden Magic by Roy Biles 1944 states: Six inches of fall to 100 feet of drainage tile....One foot fall to 100 feet is safer.

Comment

ADA standard for handicap ramps is 1" for every 12" so that is for every 12"s you go up 1". I would think that would be a good standard. The maximum slope tolerable can only be determined by how you feel on the surface.

Take a piece of plywood that your patio chair will fit on (with a little extra room) and start stacking 2x4s under the back to see what you are comfortable with..

24" in 50' is going to be about 1/2" per foot. So if your board is 4 feet from front to back raise the back up 2".
      http://www.palmisanoconcrete.com

Comment

After looking at the responses, I went out and measured some driveways in the neighborhood.

I found a few that were 1 inch over 8 feet and one that was close to 1 inch over 6 foot run. The 1 inch over 8 feet works ok for me and the 1 inch over 6ft is noticible, so I'll stick with the 1/8.

I think the 1 inch over 4 feet would be too agressive a slope - One more reason not to trust everything I read on the internet.... (and I wanted to go more agressive....)

Looks like I get to make a couple of steps and a short retaining wall.

Thanks for the help!

Christo
        My oven progress -
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
        sigpic

Comment

Awww.... You're gonna miss out on everything rolling, sliding and falling off your patio...

Just kidding - best wishes with the patio!
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
          [/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
          X