Yearly Grand Prize

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yearly Grand Prize

James and fellow forum peers, I want to suggest we create a once a year Grand Prize event. The winner gets the holiday gift. What we do is to get paypal created, each of us (voluntarily) contributes whatever for the year ($1+). It would go to the best oven that calendar year. There would have to be start to finish photos too. For those from the past, they should be admitted as well. Each oven gets only one year to compete. This allows new people, or ovens to be involved each year. The grand prize can be a choice of supplies from FB. I figure that James can help get this narrowed down to allowable prizes, maybe 1st, 2nd, 3rd. I know I have yet to start, mine will be started next Saturday. I merely think we can expand upon this hard work every oven builder has done and shared, and create fun with it too.

Acoma.
    An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Re: Yearly Grand Prize

What if it takes three years to finish my oven? Hello all.. been hot here in L.A.. Decking the backyard.. Anyone know where i can get an old redwood hot tub?

Comment

I like the idea as well.

One other thought - what about an annual FB "convention" where whoever can make it gets together for a weekend of food, wine, and an oven build ?
      "You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six."

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

Redbricknick, regarding your question about years, the prize is about completed ovens. My belief is that many of us want to add excitement to what we are creating. I believe that each completed oven gets one annual shot towards a prize. Whether it takes you a week or 5 years, it is the completed oven.
        Yogi, as for a get together, I don't know if it can be done at one location for an international audience. That idea is excellant on a regional basis. Those getting together for a weekend can do a oven build and maybe create a worldwide regional competition among those participating.
        Lets get more ideas on this.....I know more members are reading this thread, and should throw ideas into this. I looked at CP and could not believe how many members never, or rarely get involved in this incredible forum.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

If I have to wait to finish my oven before I can attend. It could be years!!!
          My oven progress -
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
          sigpic

Comment

Christo, these are ideas we are throwing out. Ideas about getting together does not mean finishing the oven first, the idea of a yearly prize for ovens is what I am throwing out. Of course we need James to chime in on this.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

I like the calendar idea as it is something that could be easily ordered for us overseas people.......and I quess forums don't just run on "bytes"

There are a few guys in here from Adelaide (South Australia).....we could have a local chapter that meets once a year.......someone once suggest having a forum area for those from common physical regions/countries.
              Cheers
              Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

I'm in for the convention, as long as there is wine and beer, and oh yea, pizza. Where?

Comment

I have always liked the idea of contest and competitions. Of course the tricky part is getting folks to enter, and working out the judging. FB will happily contribute the prizes -- we have great accessories. As they say, every good hobby has great toys.

How do we set up categories and judging? How do we get folks to enter?

I'm looking forward to Forno Bravo World in Las Vegas. Can we get there in a couple of years?

James
                  Pizza Ovens
                  Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James, thank you for showing approval to the idea. I believe we can make this very successful.
                    Maybe create the contest within the photo gallery for all completed ovens. Ones in progress stay within the regular forum. Once an oven is complete, a completed photo goes to the gallery with others completed. You can have yearly gallery ( meaning 2007, 2008, etc) of those submitted. The winner submits that oven once, all others get to repeat entries ( this should be your call).
                    Judging and contributions should be simple too. E-blast all members about the contest, and do once a month reminder. Create a way of allowing members to vote as often as they wish for the ones they like most, but to only vote once on the same oven.
                    Award money can be by paypal (or something similar). Members can voluntarily offer money through it. You can have some type of counter that shows totals for the year. As for award money, it should go towards FB prizes. Maybe some other members can elaborate better than me, or better plan the way to make this happen.

Well, it looks like the first regional gathering is for Vegas 2009?

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

FB will happily donate prizes, so we don't need to think about a voluntary contribution. Accessories are the perfect prize, I think.

Now I need to come up with a good way of setting up categories and automating the voting. I will check into our various software suppliers, and see if there is something out there.

More to come.
                      James
                      Last edited by james; 09-12-2007, 09:20 PM.
                      Pizza Ovens
                      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Thank you James. I believe this will be very rewarding for everyone.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

How cool is it that the guy from Reno gets us all into that gambling spirit? I love a flutter.. What is the prize for "most recycled materials in a pizza oven?"

Comment

James, how's the idea going? Should I head to the tables and place bets on the finish?

Acoma's Tuscan:

Comment

What criteria are to be applied. Best oven for pizza. Best for bread. Best looking. Best value for money. Best design. Best professional build. The variables are endless and there is always the danger of marginalising some members (especially those who like to browse but post little) who are already overawed by the technical excellence and build quality of a lot of the ovens on site?

Inishta

Comment

Working...
                              X