Teach your kids to cook!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teach your kids to cook!

Our oldest daughter is in high school, and she has started to enjoy cooking. On any given evening, when homework permits, she looks up a recipe on Italian or French cooking (usually on about.com), and she takes off. I used to worry about sharp knives, but she is doing really well.

She can sear a scallop, deglaze a sauce, chop a shallot, smash a glove of garlic, and mix a mean salad dressing. I'm enjoying the food, and the freedom on watching most of meal being done by someone else.

The fresh Alaskan salmon. $20 a pound. Your daughter making it. Priceless. :-)
    James
    Last edited by james; 09-16-2007, 10:39 PM.
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: Teach your kids to cook!

My daughters are younger (8 and 10) but they like to help cook. My youngest takes orders when we have a pizza party (I had to tell her not to take tips). The oldest and I made about 60 Brioche rolls for a kind of young entrepreneur thing at her school. No unattended cooking yet, but they can both make me an espresso just how I like it...I started cooking in Jr High...
    My Oven Thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Hi guys,
      my kids are a little older, in fact my son is 30 today, with twin daughters 28 years. They all cook but when they come over here for a pizza night, they do the lot.
      I will be encouraging mu grand kids, (only got one 10 weeks old at present) but will be encouraging them to take up the art.I must admit that I really enjoy food particularly when made by other people but I am really enjoying the compliments from the oven cooked products and are motivated to take the task further.

Neill
      Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
      Neill’s kitchen underway
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

our kids are still pretty young (1, 3 and 5)....yet I agree getting them appreciating and involved with food can only be a good thing. I think you are onto something here James.....

the 3 year old will eat almost anything - olives, anchovies, strong cheeses

and the oldest 2 like to have their own pieces of dough and then from that make their own mini pizzas in the oven

+ throw sticks in when I'm stoking up the oven
        Cheers
        Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

I started cooking early - out of necessity (a long story, not to be told here). Both of my sons started helping in the kitchen at the age of 4. The oldest is 10 now so he is soon to graduate from the role of kitchen-assistant. The only problem we have is that they have turned meal preparation into a re-enactment of Hell's Kitchen... or as we call it "Hecks's Chicken"... complete with commercial interruptions. We have lots of fun and they are learning a lot about flavors, ingredients, cooking process, and the emotional satisfaction of having done something useful... all by yourself.

Cooking is the perfect combination of art and science!

Comment

I have a 17 yr. old son who loves to eat. Is there one that doesn't? Anyway, he's always appreciated home-cooked food. I've never known if I'm a good cook or if he and my husband will just eat anything. I've never understood the picky eater. A few nights ago I made calzones in the WFO and my son informed me I'm "getting a lot better". Nice to have critic.

So, we're going through the college search thing right now. I've suggested he go to school for culinary arts and come home and teach me what he learns. Wouldn't that be great? I doubt that'll happen but it's worth suggesting.
            Karen

Comment

Here's an idea. There should also be a thread called "teach your kids to eat!" Don't you think that kids who are open to different foods have a much better time eating. We know families where the children only eat white food -- pasta, bread, potatoes, rice and chicken. It makes family dinners pretty challenging.

Karen, I can relate to the "you're getting better." 14-year old daughter.
              James
              Pizza Ovens
              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I know that I'm preaching to the choir here, but I think that every single person should know how to cook, and do simple carpentry and home repair. If you don't know these simple things, you put yourself in the position of being held hostage by people who don't necessarily have your best interests in mind. I tell people, go see where the guy lives who runs that diner where you eat. Do you live that well?
                My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Well said David,

I would extend this to the most essential thing. Coffee. We can't be held hostage by Starbucks either.
                  James
                  Last edited by james; 09-21-2007, 04:18 PM.
                  Pizza Ovens
                  Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Hallelujah to that James, There is no place near me where I can walk up and get an espresso in a ceramic cup...only paper...bleh. I miss that about Italy...

Drake
                    My Oven Thread:
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

dmun ....PREACH IT.....
                      Cheers
                      Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Working...