Kitchen Calculator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchen Calculator

Just received a tool catalogue from my favorite supplier, Lee Valley Tools. The company has warehouses in Canada and the US. Among the new products listed is what appears to be a very handy, and reasonably priced, Kitchen Calculator that will handle all sorts of conversions. Have a look here:
    http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...=2,40733,40734 . I have no connection to the company; wish I did.

Jim
    "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Re: Kitchen Calculator

ewveryone - step away from the catalogue and no-one will get hurt. I dare you to not spend less than $100 a pop at this place. I curse Jim every time they send me a catalogue. Lucky for me I have managed, until now to stay clear of the garden catalogue. Their woodworking and Hardware catalogue are the best. If the tool is made in either Canada or ,oh be still my heart, in the US they tell you. Otherwise it is sourced from the global market. Jim turned me on to glues, stains, and router bits to eat my fingers. Stout stuff!

I too have no conection with this company but i thing we should get kickbacks!

Comment

JE,

Just trying, in a good natured way, to share the financial pain. Seldom do I get out of one of the three Toronto locations without dropping at least $100. So maybe it is better to back away, slooowly, now that the Canuckbuck is just about at par.

It's true, though, these guys are the best: great catalogues, lots of info, advice on how to use and why, tips, tricks, even an online technical newsletter; the things they manufacture themselves come with really detailed instructions. Their mail order procedures and delivery times (that's how they started out) are right up there with Amazon and other on-line book suppliers; quick city.

A lot of the stuff is shamelessly high end, but they're frank about it. For example, they sell expensive blacksmith made axes from Sweden, but they do point out that these are not for everyone: "If you just want an axe for chopping roots, go to the hardware store." Their proprietory bench planes are not only gorgeous, but they're a joy to use.

The hardware catalogue has a very seriously wide selection of fasteners and solid brass hardware at incredibly good prices, especially when compared to the outrageous amounts charged by hardware stores, even box stores, for 100 not so hot screws in plastic boxes or brass plated stuff. They also occasionally offer discontinued or end of line things at outrageously low prices.

In your case, JE, naturally, router bits should come with a "Do not try this at home" label. Okay, okay, cursing won't get you anywhere; ears burning. Why not just shred the catalogues . Oh, kickbacks, where are you when I need you?

Jim

Comment

Oh so you are an owner of their bench planes. I was looking even occasionally drooling but somehow have managed to stear clear. Since my sotrage area is not enviormentally controlled (garage) I have to be carefuel with what I purchase and so I use the excuse that well If I buy one of these planes then I will have to store it under the bed with the wife's wedding dress. Not sure she will let me. A blessing to Lee and a curse too.

Comment

JE,

Just get one of those fancy anti-rust socks for the plane. It'll look like laundry under the bed. Nobody will ever know.

Jim

Comment

...Or you just install this freeware program.

"Converber is a unit converter. It is a powerful software utility that will help make easy conversions between 1208 various units of measure in 32 categories. Converber converts everything from length and force to flow and temperature."

Unit Converter - Converber

Comment

PP,

Interesting tool; I'll look into it. Thanks for the link.

Jim

Comment

Well, I was sold with the first two posts. I ordered two catalogues.
                GJBingham
                -----------------------------------
                Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Working...
                X