How's your Spring shaping up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How's your Spring shaping up?

How's your Spring shaping up? Wierd weather around here! This was last night at bedtime.

Heck with Spring! I think I'm ready for Summer!
    GJBingham
    -----------------------------------
    Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Re: How's your Spring shaping up?

We haven't seen the 60's yet. I'm not sure I can tell March from February. Right now, I'm waiting for a nice sunny day to take a photo of our outdoor kitchen for the new FB brochure. 65?F and sunny would be nice. :-)

James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Why I'm not in Michigan yet...

"Well, it is not exactly good boating on the Great Lakes yet.....there has been rough going on northern Lake Michigan as the commercial shipping season has re-commenced for the year. In the last several days, two 1,000 foot ships have come into port with damaged hulls from ramming through heavy ice conditions on northern Lake Michigan. Both are laid up for repairs. I read this morning of a 634 foot laker which was stuck in the ice in Lake Michigan. A 767 foot ship trying to free it inadvertently rammed it causing damaged to both ships. Ah, for the good old days of global warming."
      sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

I found myself humming christmas songs the other day. The only way we'd ever get a white Christmas around here is if we switched it to easter....

That said, this weekend was beautiful! Eating outside (Pizza, what else?) walking around barefoot, getting all the garden furniture out and cleaning it. More rain due tomorrow though
        "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Spring is COLD today. Cold month too. We decided to play spring by getting materials for a raised garden bed. I figure if it gets assembled over the next week, and we plant herbs and vege's that nature will get a hint, I repeat, HINT
          An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Seems like weird weather is the norm in North America this year. Held my first bread baking workshop this weekend, and both days were in the -5 C range, windy and not nice. Lots of snow and ice. Today, it's raining and the high expected is +10 C. By Wednesday, we'll be up to +15 C, but that's the cruel part. We are definitely not finished with winter just yet.

Jim
            "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Misery loves company. Except for Frances, sounds like there's still some suffering going on out there.

The Texans here are being polite. I think they're having exceptional weather.
              GJBingham

-

Comment

George, you're right. I think the Australians are being nice too. Wow, we need to remember this.
                An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

It's spring?????????????????? I hadn't noticed

Comment

Some pear blossoms for all the of the springtime-challenged among us.

I would have posted the apricot blossom, but its already too late in the season for that...
                    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

I've had to mow the lawn once now. So it must be spring.
                      Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Geeze,
                        I'm at 5 or 6 times. Grass grows like weeds around here. No need to fertilize or do anything special.

I cut down an acre of Timothy grass and seeded it without any other work. No covering it in soil, no watering, no fertilizer, nothin! Instant lawn!
                        GJBingham

-

Comment

We should have mowed sooner than I did- I had to rake it. What's your last average frost date there? Ours is May 15, and while we've had some really warm days, overall it's been colder this spring for longer than normal.
                          The cherry is blooming, the forsythia is as well, and the flowering quince is outstanding right now. My eyes and sinuses, not so much.
                          Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

The orchards I like )) but....Who invented them grass lawns anyway?
                            sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

Elizabeth - 30th of April is the last frost date around here. We could easily be done with sub-freezing temps by now.

XJ - the grasses themselves invented lawns, in a round about sort of way. They're weeds, just like every other plant in the world. Some weeds we've found uses for, so we give them nicer names and take better care of them. We just kill the ones that don't look nice and do damage to the weeds we like. Some weeds make great homes if you cut them up into lumber first. Some weeds create great fruits that will eventually become the best wines ever made. On and on. Weeds are just plants that we don't have a use for (yet).

In the case of lawns though, mowing the nasty grasses down to a tolerable height was the only way to manage this invasive weed. Serendipitously, it turned out that grasses actually looked pretty cool if you kept them cut to a constant level. Somebody with great vision recognized there might be a market for selling their seeds. What an industry. How many billions are spent on lawns? Scary to think about, but nice around here. As I said - other than mowing, no care required - unless you hate dandelions.
                              GJBingham

-

Comment

Working...
                              X