Earthquake... Did you feel it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earthquake... Did you feel it?

At about 5:30 this morning my oldest son and I were jolted awake from the 5.3 earthquake that hit the central US today. My wife was working 3rd shift at the hospital and felt it as well.

Apparently, the quake was felt as far north as Milwaukee/Chicago, and all the way down to St. Louis, Evansville, Louisville.

You guys on the "Left" coast are used to this. The rest of us are pretty much amateurs.

Did you feel the quake?
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Re: Earthquake... Did you feel it?

I live in Michigan. Never have felt an earthquake in my life.
    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
    My oven build thread

Comment

There were a couple of reports of people who felt it in Des Moines (half hour drive south of where I live). That's 450 miles from the epicenter, though; I think you'd have to have been awake already to notice it. My only experience with earthquakes was a small one in St. Louis in 1990.

Comment

Cool, huh? You're absolutely at the mercy of the quake. You can't go down in a storm cellar and just let it pass. A very helpless feeling indeed.
        GJBingham
        -----------------------------------
        Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Illinois earthquake rattles southern Ontario

Kitchener is about 100kms west and north of Toronto. This one did not shake Toronto, although we do occasionaly got mild tremors here.
          Un amico degli amici.

Comment

Yep! I happened to be up at the time and first thought it was high winds. Pretty cool.

Comment

This might be due to the fact I'm used to earthquakes, but I think I would take an earthquake over a tornado any day. "Just stay indoors, stand inbetween the doorjamb and ride it out."
              "Pizza, the world's most perfect food."

Comment

I thought it was a tornado. The whole house shook. Jumped out of bed and looked out the window. NO wind. That’s when I realized it was an EQ. Weird feeling.

Comment

Kitchener!
                  You're from Moe Norman country!
                  Cool!
                  Dutch

Originally posted by Alfredo View Post
                  Illinois earthquake rattles southern Ontario

Kitchener is about 100kms west and north of Toronto. This one did not shake Toronto, although we do occasionaly got mild tremors here.
                  "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                  "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

I once experienced an earth quake at the beach on a greek island: suddenly the land was rocking up and down and the sea was staying in the same place... weird!
                    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Live in Sherwood about 90 miles north of Milwaukee. Nothing here. Any new cracks in the oven?

Comment

Dick in Cincinnati

I missed it . I think I was the only one in the neighborhood who didn't feel something. I was actually up at that time but that might be what woke me up!

I'm actually not that concerned about my oven - tornado, hurricane, typhone or the stray meteor - my oven is way overbuilt compared to the house I live in. My neighbors want to put a "fallout" stick on the outside of my oven

Dick

Comment

Working...
                        X