Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Memorial to Hendo - Paul Henderson

Hi all,
    it is with sincere regret but with some sort of simple pleasure to post a new thread as a memorial to Hendo; Paul Henderson, who passed away recently after 14 years fighting the incideous disease, cancer.
    Please refer to:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f30/...very-3568.html

for the preceeding thread and comments but I felt a need for something a little more special.
    I have contacted his family and visited them today where I received the photograph of Paul.
    Paul went to an incredible amount of detail in planning not only his beloved Pompeii oven , but also the entire entertainment area which is planned to include a barbeque, a deep fryer (may be omitted even though it is in a box on the property), a sink, fridge, granite benchtops and a very tastefully built patio.
    I also met and worked with his brickie, Dallas, and we cut and closed the last two courses and the keystone bricks for his oven dome. We plan to get into the remaining brickwork, the walls of the patio, back of kitchen workbench and utilities and oven walls in 10 days and have the area finished in around a month or two at the maximum.
    Paul's attention to detail is reflected in the quality of the brick cutting and the build as the attached pictures show.
    We hope to continue Paul's dream to completion, even though his home is an hours drive across town for me to travel each way non peak traffic.

Regards.

Neill

PS. A late picture of Paul, his oven and the closing stages!
    Last edited by nissanneill; 04-23-2008, 04:40 PM. Reason: Missed information.
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Re: A Memorial to Hendo - Paul Henderson

Although I was not on the forum while Hendo was posting I can imagine the quality of his contributions from the responses on the other thread. I'm sure his family will be pleased that his work will be finished. Thanks to Neill and all those involved. Perhaps it may be possible to include something from FB members in tribute.............maybe a bench or some such thing. I would be more than happy to contribute.

Inishta.

Comment

It's been said that life is fragile. Too easy can a light be snuffed out. Too quickly can a voice be silenced. We have all witnessed this. Some too closely.
      Our mortal life has been compared to an eggshell. Fragile. Be careful with it. Don't squeeze it too hard.
      Just like the eggshell, we learned early on, our life can also be strong, resilient and long lasting if we approach it correctly. Our friend, Paul learned it too.
      He turned his eggshell sideways and when life pushed him, he pushed back.
      Fourteen years is a long time. Comparatively, not even a tick on the Master Clock, but an eternity when you suffer. Despite his pain, Paul must have had a pretty good reason to stick around so long. We all can surmise what that might be. Was it the oven project that kept his head in the game or merely the natural human curiosity of what's around the next corner? Could be.
      A clutch of nested eggs lie on their side, each exposing their weakest and most vulnerable side. They depend on each other for support.
      To live a life with the support of a loving family is a life well used. And that is reason enough.

Comment

It is a wonder how something as ephemeral as our group can leave such an honest and physical sadness. Neill, thank you for everything you are doing; I wish could all do more.

Paul, I so glad we were able to spend time together.
        James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Let us not only remember Paul as a human being having been special to many, and contributing special views to people around him, but to use that lesson as well. I feel that it is in the passing of special people that we realize their true worth, but we must also learn and realize that our days our not over, that the lives of those close to us (family and friends) may not be over either. I say this because I look at my own children and family as they grow, begging to learn, laugh, and share their experiences. We must not forget this either. It is important to laugh, and to smile at the lives around us, and with those that have passed. Do not be sad for Paul's death, be happy he lived, and that he lived a great life shared by those lucky enough to know him. And don't forget, if you have family and friends, contribute those views towards them.
          Acoma.
          An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

True Robert...the 4 L's

Live, Love, Learn and leave a Legacy....

Thanks Hendo.....
            sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

James,
              as a token of 'our' appreciation, I was going to make a cast brass plaque to be placed on the oven in respect of Paul and the contribution that this forum has made to Paul. The approx size and type placed around crematoriums or cemetries. I know that this forum made the world to him.
              I need some assistance in wording it but have some time to get it all happening. Can you (or in fact anyone else for that matter), put some thought to suitable words.
              I will prepare the artwork and post it for comment and approval, make the pattern, have it cast, finish it and mount it.

Neill

PS. I got a message from his brickie, and he is unable to work on the planned weekend but we will be there the following one. The oven, outdoor kitchen and patio will be completed used and appreciated by Pauls family and friends. His wife Margaret, is already planning the first get together for a pizza night.

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
              Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

[ATTACH]Paul's plaque.pdf[/ATTACH]Hi all.
                I have been thinking about the wording for the intended plaque for Pauls oven and have come up with 'draft 1'
                Consider it and please feel free to comment as I would like it to be most appropriate for the occasion.
                Obviously the date will change for the inaugural first cook-up to 'officially launch' the area.

This oven and outdoor kitchen
                is dedicated to
                PAUL HENDERSON
                through his inspiration from the
                Forno Bravo Forum
                and it?s members.
                June 2008.

Neill
                Last edited by nissanneill; 07-12-2014, 07:52 PM.

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

Neill,

Good job on the plaque. One small editorial suggestion: should read its members, not it's (it is) members. You might consider this: through his inspiration from and to the Forno Bravo Forum and its members. His innovations live on.

Jim
                  Last edited by CanuckJim; 04-24-2008, 05:53 PM. Reason: More stuff
                  "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Neill,

Can we set up a PayPal "fund" where we can forward small amounts to help fund finishing the oven and the plaque? PayPal will put the money in your hands and we can donate from any currency. Perhaps we could set a target and open it up to contributions.

What do you think?
                    James
                    Pizza Ovens
                    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Neill
                      Yes I think it is well worded also...could possibly add the mo****r and make it Paul "Hendo" Henderson
                      Dutch
                      "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                      "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

A fire in his heart.
                        Remember.
                        A dream.
                        Remember
                        Life at its fullest.
                        Remember.

Bring on the wood.
                        Bring on the friends.
                        Bring on the pizza.

Remember
                        My thread:
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
                        My costs:
                        http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
                        My pics:
                        http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

James,
                          on my visit out to Paul's place last Wednesday, I saw palettes of bricks, a large box containing the superwool blanket, his european deep fryer (which his wife Margaret is not keen on including in the build), and most other materials needed for the completion. He already has around 3 tons of seasoned wood for firing his dream. All of the electrical wiring has been laid, the water and gas pipes terminated at the bench area, the slate flooring and roof completed, all that remains is the brick wall, oven closure , granite benchtops, splashback and painting.
                          I will be putting the bite on Bacterium to finish the electrical (sorry Damon if you are reading this before I contact you)
                          Margaret was collecting 2 glass bricks for the wall on her trip into Adelaide, while the supplier of the required remaining materials has said in respect for Paul that he will honour his quotes, no matter how late we buy.
                          I am willing to foot the bill to have the plaque made, (I can do the artwork and film at home, a close friend will supply the polymer plate for the pattern), and a local foundry will cast the plaque. I will finish it and polish then mount it in a prominent location iin readiness for the first cook up.
                          I don't believe that we need to hold our hand out with paypal donations as everything is well under control and most already exists. Remember that it was Paul who planned his dream and it was Paul who arranged everything excepting the finishing touches.

Jim,
                          the apostrophy in it's is to indicate possession, ie. the members belong to Fornobravo but I will check with others more qualified to know than I.

Dutch,
                          "could possibly add the mo****r and make it Paul "Hendo" Henderson" what do you mean? I have included (Hendo) but am unsure of your thoughts! See the .pdf file attached.

Neill
                          Attached Files

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                          Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

Neill
                            I was going by this post and was referring to his forum name "Hendo" which I see now that you have added...unfortunately I did not see the pdf...I think it looks great and I only wish I could be there to lend a hand somehow
                            Best
                            Dutch

Originally posted by nissanneill View Post
                            Hi all.
                            I have been thinking about the wording for the intended plaque for Pauls oven and have come up with 'draft 1'
                            Consider it and please feel free to comment as I would like it to be most appropriate for the occasion.
                            Obviously the date will change for the inaugural first cook-up to 'officially launch' the area.

This oven and outdoor kitchen
                            is dedicated to
                            PAUL HENDERSON
                            through his inspiration from the
                            Forno Bravo Forum
                            and it?s members.
                            June 2008.

Neill
                            "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                            "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Thanks again Neill for taking so much on.
                              James
                              Pizza Ovens
                              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Working...
                              X