Flooding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flooding

Our city recently has had some severe flooding after receiving 1200 mm of rain in a week from a tropical monsoonal event .That is around our annual rainfall.Was emptying a full rain gauge every day. Consequently the city's water storage dam filled to overcapacity and the floodgates at the spillway had to be opened fully. Unfortunately this coincided with high tides and parts of the city were inundated. We were lucky and only had inundation in the laundry and garage (workshop). The rest of the house is 100 mm higher. The attached pic shows some mill board insulation. Whilst the depth of water in the garage was only10 mm the insulation board, being so water absorbent has sucked the water up to around 600 mm. It's turned to mush and I discarded it along with a trailer full of 15 years worth of accumulated stuff. The calcium silicate board sitting along side has similarly absorbed water, but to a much lesser extent, its strength is not affected and will dry without problems. Ceramic fibre blanket also absorbs a huge amount of water but eventually dries back to normal. The "Caution" sign is the place next door. The pic of the front gate is after the water dropped about 50 mm from its peak. Click image for larger version  Name:	EE1800DD-564A-4F7B-A243-08F054EC4D0F.jpg Views:	1 Size:	346.3 KB ID:	411001Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0110.jpg Views:	1 Size:	151.5 KB ID:	411002Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0140.jpg Views:	1 Size:	272.9 KB ID:	411003The water came just up to the sculptures mouth. I think he saved us.
    Last edited by david s; 02-14-2019, 03:14 PM.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Water is fun until it's not controllable Hope everything is going better.
    My Build Pictures
    https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...18BD00F374765D

Comment

David,

Dang, all that water and clean-up. Hoping not too much damage.

We just passed 400 inches of snow year to date at the resort .
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Working...
      X