Yogurt maker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yogurt maker

We just bought a yogurt maker. It sounds good for our daughters' smoothies, breakfast, frozen yogurt, fresh cheese, etc.

Does anyone have experience with these things?

Any advice is very welcome.
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: Yogurt maker

Just a little off.
    My former colleague long time ago was quite upset that her just-bought yougurt maker didn't produce a yougurt.
    In fact, trying to make it work better, she was stirring content of the containers each 15 minutes.

Comment

I used to make yogurt all the time. I did it in my oven at the lowest heat setting possible.

Start with a good quality plain yogurt with natural cultures.

My starting mixture was both canned and dried milk....varies to give you the solids content you prefer. I believe that you can use fresh milk but it needs to be boiled first.

Give it a try....be patient and try again until you get the result you like.

We used to mix in frozen fruit juice concentrate...orange, grape....

X

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f13/...gurt-1894.html
      Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

Hey Jim,

Sorry I missed that one. I went mid-tech and bought a Yogourmet machine from Amazon, and I'm really happy with it. It uses water and basically makes a warm bath for the yogurt to culture. I found Organic European Style yogurt from Trader Joe's, and used that as my starter. They add the cultures after the milk is pasteurized, and it all works really well.

The new yogurt picked up the flavor from the starter. Very nice.

Next steps include Greek Yogurt, home made Creme Fraiche and frozen yogurt. I can't help myself, I just bought an ice cream maker.

These seem to be extensions of my bread making and pizza making habit -- you not only get a little more control over where your food comes from, but as you get better at doing it, the home made products really are better than anything you can buys.

Next stop -- vanilla frozen yogurt. :-)
        James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I heard of someone using their WFO to make yogurt also. Have to find out exactly how.
          Dutch
          "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
          "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Working...
          X