Caveat Emptor Y'all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caveat Emptor Y'all

This is a warning! I post this because this product is a great tool for WFO owners and Campers. I am in both categories.

To keep from sounding like a spammer, I will not provide any links or company names. To make a long story short, I purchased an item that I had been wanting for my oven and for camping. The Problem is, that I did not buy it from a reputable dealer. Don't trust Facebook's "SPONSORED" advertisements. They don't check anything out. They Just take the $$$$ and add the link to your feed.

Long story short. A reputable Australian company's product advertisements were stolen and is being used to sell a flimsy made knock off. The below pic on the left is the hefty real deal. On the right is the flimsy pos that I got for a Great Deal! from a Facebook add. I know it's an old line but, "If it is too good to be true, it probably is".

I will now lick my wounds and buy the product from the manufacturer at the fair price. I will also, make a note to self, Don't buy online after 5:00 pm .
    Last edited by Gulf; 01-04-2023, 06:05 PM.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Maybe you can reinforce it by welding on some gussets. I’ve seen these before, shouldn’t be too hard to fabricate one yourself with basic welding skills.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Yes, I could trade out some work and have one made pretty quick. But, welding is forbidden for me. It interferes with my bionics lol. This toy is beyond reinforcing to be of any use. When I was young I took apart tin toys that were made of about the same thickness of steel. I was in Mobile, Alabama yesterday and got to examine the real kindling cracker in person. I haven't tried it out just yet, but the vast difference can be seen in this side by side pic that I took.
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Joe,

Thanks for sharing. It seems that even an OLD wiley fox can be out smarted. FB market place is riddle with scam-a-rama. It is just a reminder to keep the scam antenna going all the time.
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Joe, you could always repurpose it as a utensil holder for out by the oven
          My build thread
          https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Joe, you could always repurpose it as a utensil holder for out by the oven
            John, I fired the oven this evening and found that the knockoff was just right for propping up my iPhone

Russell,

You are so right about FB market place. Trouble is, this was not FB market place. It was my normal feed that Facebook allows sponsored (paying advertisers) to be shown on my feed by the algorithms that match things that I have searched on google. Some believe it is just based on words that were spoken out loud in conversations near an iPhone. Regardless, Facebook has allowed this to go on for many months. The bonified company has notified Facebook and posted this on their sites. Many who were ripped off have notified Facebook. Facebook still allows these adds. Some of my family and friends have been placed in Facebook jail for 30 days just for suggesting things like a home sore throat treatment (it went against the COVID guidelines) With Facebook, it seems to be all about the money.

Sorry for the rant. I know that many in this community are just as susceptible to these adds as I, the camping, and BBQ folks are.

Comment

Finding some more uses. They may not actually split wood, but they will hold a few fatwood splinters

Click image for larger version

Name:	Splinters.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	989.4 KB
ID:	451537
              Last edited by Gulf; 01-09-2023, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Joe, if you put a big enough tater in there and hit it really hard you might be able to make french fries
                My build thread
                https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Maybe if I find small enough taters...........and parboil them first? lol

Comment

Working...
                  X