Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog lovers will understand.........

Everyone,

Today has been the worst day of my life, next to the day my father died.

Today, my wife and I made the painfull decision to end our beloved dog's (Wesley) discomfort and suffering. At 2:45 pm he was euthanized by our vet.

Wesley had blessed us for 16 yrs and 5 months.....Truly the best and dearest friend I have ever had. Today, for the first time in 45 yrs, I have experienced true depression...I know time heals all wounds, but it really sucks at this moment. I know this was for the better - he was nearly completely deaf, rapidly going blind, and suffered from severe arthitis in both hips......none of this eases my sense of loss.

As the title of this message reads: Dog lovers will understand............

RT

Re: Dog lovers will understand.........

RT,

Tremendously sorry for your loss. Hang in there.
    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
    My oven build thread

Comment

Very sorry for your loss. We have four dogs, and I dread the day we have to deal with this.
      Oven Progress
      Bread Photos
      Oven Stand Thread

Comment

RT:
        I'm lying in bed next to my hound with a Bassett Rescue t-shirt on. I don't have the right words, only the understanding. Very sorry and hope you find a new friend soon. It's the only thing that works.

Comment

I'm so very sorry. I have two boxers and I worry about every lump on their bodies after having lost one before to cancer. It broke my heart. My heart goes out to you and your wife.

Karen

Comment

RT,

I feel your pain as well. Our 6 year old chocolate lab blew out her knee. We just had the stitches removed today when the vet told us she had cancer on a growth they had removed. You love these things like a child because they become a child. I am truly sorry for your loss.

Les...
            Check out my pictures here:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I feel your loss and have been there myself. Losing one is like losing my child. Its not something I wish to do again but I do know it happens. You feel like you can never have another. Little secret of the fact is that the next one gets even closer. Its worth the risk to do it again.
              Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste
              like chicken...

My 44" oven in progress...

Comment

RT, I'm so sorry to hear your sad news - I know only too well what you are going through as I had to make that same heart-wrenching decision for our wire fox terrier in early January.

While at the time, we could not even think of another dog, in the end I could only hold out for three months. For me, our wonderful new girl has really helped ... but my poor sweet Tucker will always hold a special place in my heart.

My heart-felt sympathies to you and your wife.

Sarah

Comment

I'm so sorry. I've had to make that decision too.

Dog lovers really do understand. ((((hugs))))
                  Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
                    When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
                    They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Hugs to you and your family.
                    Check out our blog for a glimpse into our hobbies of home brewing, soda, beer and wine, gardening and most of all cooking in our WFO!

http://thereddragoncafe.blogspot.com/

Comment

Sorry man.

Keep your head up.
                      And like you said, time does heal all wounds......

Dave
                      My thread:
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
                      My costs:
                      http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
                      My pics:
                      http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

RT
                        The Rainbow Bridge posting is a hard one to follow. We recently had a good friend go through this loss with a dog that was from a litter of our puppies. My wife and I were there when he was born and saw him through the first four months of his like. He helped his owners mother realize how much she loved dogs, was there with her when her husband was sick and consoled here when her husband died...only a few months ago...now he is gone...I guess he gave his heart to them and eventually there was none left. It was like we lost one of ours too. I know what it feels like but, unfortunately there are no good words to say...except...he will always be your best friend.
                        Best
                        Dutch

A man and his dog were walking along a road. The man was enjoying the scenery, when it suddenly occurred to him that he was dead.
                        He remembered dying, and that the dog walking beside him had been dead for years. He wondered where the road was leading them.
                        After a while, they came to a high, white stone wall along one side of the road. It looked like fine marble. At the top of a long hill, it was broken by a tall arch that glowed in the sunlight.
                        When he was standing before it he saw a magnificent gate in the arch that looked like mother-of-pearl, and the street that led to the gate looked like pure gold. He and the dog walked toward the gate, and as he got closer, he saw a man at a desk to one side.
                        When he was close enough, he called out, 'Excuse me, where are we?'
                        'This is Heaven, sir,' the man answered.
                        'Wow! Would you happen to have some water?' the man asked.
                        'Of course, sir. Come right in, and I'll have some ice water brought right up.'
                        The man gestured, and the gate began to open.
                        'Can my friend,' gesturing toward his dog, 'come in, too?' the traveler asked.
                        'I'm sorry, sir, but we don't accept pets.'
                        The man thought a moment and then turned back toward the road and continued the way he had been going with his dog.
                        After another long walk, and at the top of another long hill, he came to a dirt road leading through a farm gate that looked as if it had never been closed. There was no fence.
                        As he approached the gate, he saw a man inside, leaning against a tree and reading a book.
                        'Excuse me!' he called to the man. 'Do you have any water?'
                        'Yeah, sure, there's a pump over there, come on in.'
                        'How about my friend here?' the traveler gestured to the dog.
                        'There should be a bowl by the pump.'
                        They went through the gate, and sure enough, there was an old-fashioned hand pump with a bowl beside it.
                        The traveler filled the water bowl and took a long drink himself, then he gave some to the dog.
                        When they were full, he and the dog
                        walked back toward the man who was standing by the tree.
                        'What do you call this place?' the traveler asked.
                        'This is Heaven,' he answered.
                        'Well, that's confusing,' the traveler said. 'The man down the road said that was Heaven, too.'
                        'Oh, you mean the place with the gold street and pearly gates? Nope. That's hell.'
                        'Doesn't it make you mad for them to use your name like that?'
                        'No, we're just happy that they screen out the folks who would leave their best friends behind.'
                        Soooo ..
                        You are all welcome @ my water bowl anytime.....
                        "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                        "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Thanks to all for the heartfelt words. I knew from several previous posts that we had a group of folks, like myself, who love their canine companions.
                          For those who have experienced this, you know I am not exaggerating when I say your feelings rival those from the loss of a close (human) family member. For those dog owners who have yet to experience this, I can only say - its really, really bad; for the record - today was 10 times worse than yesterday. Me working from home as I do 2-3 days a week (when not traveling) and no "little man" following every move I make (he was always at my side whenever I was home), I actually cried like a baby no less than 8 times today (I have only cried 3 other times in my adult life) - I kept looking for him and even caught myself starting to talk to him several times.......but don't let that discourage your enjoyment and the close bonding with your pet. We all know going in that death is part of life's cycle, I wouldn't change a thing from the past 16+ yrs just to avoid the past 2 days.

On the positive side - my wife and I pulled out all of our pictures of Wes pup this evening and even though a lot of tears were shed, we laughed more than we cried. Memories are a crazy thing...wonderful one minute then the next you realize those great memories of those great times are the cause of why you feal so lousy now (in this case, Wesley is gone from this life and our great experiences have ended).....but we have decided against waiting for our next "best friend" and will begin a search tomorrow for a new "little man" to share our lives with. Our original plan was to take a break from pet ownership.
                          A much deserved vacation (alaskan cruise) has been booked in 4 wks to celebrate our 25th aniversary....not to forget Wesley (he will always be the dearest thing in my life), but to ease the terrible sense of loss we are feeling in every room of the house. I'm usually a cheap bastard when it comes to vacations AND anniversaries.....making this whole experience damn near "life changing".

Again, thanks to everyone for the support.....Special thanks for the "Rainbow Bridge", one of our friends also sent us this......touching, very touching

RT

Comment

RT:
                            My wife just went out and adopted my current pal. Yes, the guy in the picture above. I would have made myself miserable for a long time if she hadn't.The new guy is the way to go, so enjoy.

Comment

Thanks CAM, your not the first to tell me that -"if you love dogs some much", "you have got to get another soon". Its the only way to fill that terrible void that you feel. So, thats our plan...my wife made dozens of call tonight and found a couple of possibilities.....it won't be long, since I gave her the green light yesterday.

RT

Comment

Working...
                              X