Any runners out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any runners out there?

It's probably just a mid-life crisis, but I've started running. I got a pair a good running shoes, and I even bought the Nike+iPod and I'm logging my runs. Compared with other hobbies, running is pretty cheap. :-)

Are there any other runners out there?
    James
    Last edited by james; 08-26-2008, 06:40 PM.
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: Any runners out there?

Bad knees + bad back = recumbent bike.....but in my younger, healthier years I really enjoyed jogging through the neighborhood in the early morning hours. After a year with the bike it still doesn't seem natural to either read or watch tv while peddling...there is much to be said about getting in touch with nature. ENJOY your runs.

RT

Comment

Hey James,

Some where along in my early 40's, I started running. It was one of my best chapters along the way. It opened a door to a great group of people, and great fitness... Before I quit running (old body parts...) I had completed one marathon along with participating in several other running events. I was proud of completing each one, and loved the work and the process. I was always very slow, but had as much fun as anybody else who ever had played a game!

The best of it was spending time on 'training' runs with other runners; the running pre-selects the partners to folks that I was happy to spend time chatting - and running with. It was fun to set goals and participate in these running events.

For me the only down side to the running was just one more thing competing with the time spent with family, and that is always a balancing act...

And who cares if it is a mid-life crisis (a red convertible would be nice, but running has more lasting benefits!)... and no better way to express a mid-life event than with something like running... If I could still run, I certainly would. A great use of time and energy.

Good luck with the running, I hope it turns into a long term 'habit' for you!

JED

Comment

My sports therapy guy rides a bike, and keeps telling me that guys my age (himself and all his friends included) have given up running for bikes. So far, the knees and back are holding up, but I pulled a calf muscle that just won't go away. Ice, stretch, ice, Ibuprofin, etc.

I think one advantage of running over bikes is that you get tired faster. :-) You can bike for hours -- which would definitely get in the way of family time. Equally a drawback of golf.

Thanks for the encouragement. It sure beats a red sports car.
        James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I'm a dedicated runner (about 50 Km/wk) Do it as much for the mind as the body. Most starting runners get injuries in their first year running. The training you do this year pays dividends next year. You will be amazed at your improvement in performance. Try to get involved with a good club and do some competing, it does wonders for the motivation. Runners all seem to be nice people, free of bullshit.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post
            I think one advantage of running over bikes is that you get tired faster. :-) You can bike for hours -- which would definitely get in the way of family time. Equally a drawback of golf.
            Ha. Come over here to SW Va and try to bike for hours...

Seriously, my husband ran for years and now rides a bike. He says he doesn't want to risk his knees going.
            Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Running ? Naw. I get health benefits from digging foundations, pouring concrete and building ovens
              Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

Yep. I have a few marathons, and many more 1/2 marathons under my belt. I've tried switching gears to biking this summer for less joint impact. I still think I prefer running. I like the no hassle approach of putting on shoes and going.
                Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                My oven build thread

Comment

I haven't run in a few years except a few miles every now and then just to see how it feels. I've made some of my very best friends through running. There's nothing like the bond you have with your running buddies. I've trained for several marathons and there's no way I would've done it without my friends. My husband and I met our best friends through running and that's who we're going to Italy with next month. They live in NC and we live in VA. My husband is the only one of us 4 that still puts in the miles. The husband of the other couple just had a knee replaced so sticks with biking and swimming now. It is tough on the knees but lots of things are tough on our bodies and we do them anyway. Things like mixing concrete with shovel and wheelbarrow for example. Enjoy the road (or better yet,trails) James.
                  Karen

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                    ... Most starting runners get injuries in their first year running. The training you do this year pays dividends next year. You will be amazed at your improvement in performance....
                    That's re-assuring. :-) Thanks.
                    James
                    Pizza Ovens
                    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

My funny story for the day is that with school opening, the Highway Patrol has put speed monitors on the roads in our neighborhood. I think they are warning us.

Today I went jogging past one of the monitors, and my speed registered on the big display. 7 mph. No ticket this time. :-)

James
                      Pizza Ovens
                      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

...I can just see you running past that thing every day to see how fast you can go
                        "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

It's not the speed you can hit, it's the endurance that counts.
                          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

It's getting to crunch time. I am running (and hopefully finishing) the Wine Country marathon in Healdsburg, CA (Sonoma) in 5 weeks. That means three more weeks of serious training, and then a two week taper off to (again hopefully) build back up my energy.

Plus, I have a 10K at our girls' school next weekend.

I have joined a runner's forum (very similar to our group, though not as fun), and I'm learning a lot about running. I'm a total newbie, but it's been a blast. I'm having a lot a fun trying something new.

Repeat after me -- no injuries!
                            James
                            Pizza Ovens
                            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I did it. The Wine Country Marathon was today and I finished at 3:42 -- better than my most optimistic goal, so I'm feeling pretty good. Actually, I'm pretty sore, but the race was a blast, I met great people and feel good about my run.

I think I am going to keep doing this. If you are looking for a mid-life hobby, running has a lot going for it. :-)
                              James
                              Pizza Ovens
                              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Working...
                              X