Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPR Pizza article

Hey Gang,

I enjoyed this article about the "State of Pizza" in America. The chef's in the business are working to get pizza on the menu in the finest restaurants... and working to raise the level of the quality of pizza in the State's.

The link to the two video's of the Italian pizza masters working the craft was also interesting to me.

American Pizza Chefs Study With The Master : NPR
    From NPR Weekend edition.
    JED

Re: NPR Pizza article

I heard that on the radio this morning. Nice segment. I thought the Italians were diplomatic.
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Che Bello!

Great post! It lifted me out of the funk that I have been experiencing lately. Thanks! Bertuzzo is a speed demon.

Since I am an east coast guy, [born in Naples, IT] but now live in NJ. Not too familiar with Cali. Where in California does this guy teach this course? I speak Italian fluently but was wondering if it is easier to travel to the West Coast as opposed to going to Italy.

Thanks in advance!

Roberto

Comment

Ciao Roberto,

You would contact the guys featured on NPR in the central Valley of California, or you could go to SoCal to the VPN-backed school there. You can find them here:

Peppe Miele
        VPN Americas c/o Antica Pizzeria
        13455 Maxella Ave Suite #201
        Marina del Rey, CA 90292
        Tel. 323 653-5792

Tell Peppe Forno Bravo sent you. :-)

If you want to fly home, you can contact Enzo Coccio. He runs a very respected school in Napes -- Pizza Consulting.it. 39 081 6580524. If you go back, we can also arrange for you to tour Molino Caputo.

This all sounds too fun.
        James
        Last edited by james; 09-27-2008, 01:55 PM.
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James,

Mille Grazie!
          Although I am hesitant to do a start up right now, I am planting the seeds for something that I think needs to be created here in Pizzaland. Lots of pizzerias, ma fanno schifo! If you know what I mean.

Thanks for your great forum and the info you provide.

RC

Comment

Daccordo. Molte pizzerie, ma non ci sono dove si vuole (vuole vero) mangiare.
            James
            Last edited by james; 09-27-2008, 02:14 PM.
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Esatto!

James,

What is your feeling on the economy and how it is being perceived? I am so confused and don't like making decisions on False Evidence Appearing Real= FEAR

Comment

There are some good role models out there for pizzerias making a truly great product -- who build a fanatical following. The quality of the product is paramount. I think wanting to become a well-known pizzaiolo (or pizza entrepreneur) is a lot like wanting to become on opera singer. You need a lot of talent, drive and determination -- and some luck.

But the product you want to make is so special. It's the real thing, and a segment of the population absolutely love it.

Is that enough to counter-balance the down economy? Who can answer that one?
                James
                Pizza Ovens
                Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Interesting post as we are sailing into those uncharted wood fired waters here in rural Mississippi
                  We'll have to see I suppose!
                  Best
                  Dutch
                  "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                  "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Dutch, full speed ahead!
                    This is America! We'll be fine in the long run. And I gotta tell you that I was reading, what else, a book on pizza by Ed Levine, and there is a timeline in there. I noticed that some famous places that are still successful today started in the 1930's! Now that took gumption to say the least. So let's brush ourselves off and keep up the spirit.

As a side note, I think like a lot of things in this wonderful country, we tend to have a pioneering way of life and I think small businesses embody that.
                    I look at the success of the chains, only to realize that when you get too big it's not always a good thing! I have heard about many chains that don't fare well around here since people have become more quality conscious and want the real deal. [Papa J [yellow dipping sauce anyone?] and Quizno's couldn't stay open within a 15 mile radius here in my neck of the woods!]
                    They want fresh ingredients, not commissary created cookie cutter style. I think the chains are here to stay but people will always want an alternative.
                    It seems there is a revolution of sorts going on with pizza! Believe in what you do and the rest will follow. I was feeling a bit sad yesterday but knowing that there is this community of believers out there such as yourself inspires me.
                    (Fired up [pun intended] after watching Bertuzzo in the videos from NPR!)
                    Last edited by FigliodiMariaeGiovanni; 09-28-2008, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X