Panting oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Panting oven

Acobova, the door in this case is a "smoke door" not a door for insulation (like baking or retained heat cooking). The attached photo has the prototype constructed of Hardibacker cement board. It worked well save that the longer it was used the more fragile it became. There was also a problem with outgassing during the first half dozen times it was used; once it reached a higher heat (450F if memory serves) it started to give off an objectionable smell. Over time the smell went away and the door became so fragile that it easily broke into several pieces and so I used it as a pattern to make this one in 10 guage plate steel (about 1/8 th inch for those not used to guage sizes).

The Hardibacker did pant although not nearly as well defined a pant as the steel door. I feel that Jay has the cause correct when he relates it to entrance area, internal volume and exit area, gas flow and gas densities.

The actual design for the smoke door is a modification of that used as a more or less permanent cast iron door as used in the "Ristorante" series of stoves. I would reference those curious to check out the pdf files available for that series on the FB website. A major difference is that the Ristorante door is between the internal dome and the chimney area whereas my door is between the entrance and the chimney area. That is why I did not include the pointed arch opening (which allows exit of smoke from the dome) just the rectangular bottom section. In my design I changed the sharp corners to a quarter round opening.

At this point the pant is a curiosity and I feel does not pose any cause for concern regarding safety. Were it to create the proper conditions for an explosion I would think it would have done so. As proper conditions for a fuel air explosion could be created in any close or semi closed (or even open un-enclosed space like the military does) it is something to be aware of but not lose sleep over. As my schedule permits I plan of messing about with different shapes for my smoke door. No need for it to be a passive experience. I have an idea of incorporating a Pyrex watch glass (3" in diameter) above the existing door thru which one could better observe what is going on inside. I expect it will smoke up quickly.

Panting of steam engines in particular of their fire boxes is a well established phenomenon. That I happened to stumble into creating the effect on my WFO is just an accident of serendipity. One that to date, I am enjoying.

Here is a photo of the Hardibacker prototype as you have watched the video you know what the steel one looks like:
    Bests,
    Wiley

Comment

Just a short update: Firing the WFO with a standard (2 1/4 x 4 1/2 x 9 inch) firebrick on each side just inside the entrance completely removed the panting. There was none what-so-ever, so shape of the internal and perhaps volume would seem critical to getting the oven to pant.

Reason for the firebricks is Im firing for buns/rolls today followed by a slow cook pulled pork shoulder for tomorrow. The bricks are to separate the shoulder from a small bed of coals for smoking and I didn't want to place cold bricks into a hot oven. Indirect heat and all that.

Hope everyone is planning on a great weekend!

Bests,
      Wiley

Comment

Very interesting....

Thanks Wiley!
        Jay

Comment

Working...
        X