I stumbled upon the ENEMY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I stumbled upon the ENEMY

I was doing some random Googling on pizza related things and stumbled upon a forum of folks committed to stopping all wood smoke (outdoor fireplaces, campfires, PIZZA OVENS, forest fires, etc). If you can burn it, they are against it.

Here's the thread I found:
    BurningIssues.org :: View topic - Neighbor's backyard pizza oven

I perused a few other topics on their forum and found most of the posts pretty extreme. There are a couple of "rabble rousers" that poke at the extremism and try to insert some common sense (they get attacked and piled on).

These are the kinds of folks that I worry about getting elected to public office. They would like nothing better than to outlaw pizza ovens, wood stoves, campfire circles, fireplace, etc.

James, it wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on this crowd. They are based in... you guessed it: California.

"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer."
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Re: I stumbled upon the ENEMY

I have seen on the MHA site that they are actively working to prevent this kind of rabid nonsense from causing grief. I just point out to people that a WFO puts out less particulate than a BBQ, uses and renewable IE green resource and I use less natural gas for cooking. In my area, I use less energy for cooking which comes from a COAL FIRED generator. WFO good. COAL BAD !!
    I was kind of ticked about the comment that we use the WFO mostly at night with the implication that this was an illicet hidden activity.
    Obviously, these people have never connected the fact that if you work for a living.... you cook at night !!
    Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

GASP! They ARE the enemy!

Drake
      My Oven Thread:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Fascinating...

Did you read where they say all wood burners also smoke tobacco and therefore don't notice the smoke?

Funny, being an ecologically minded kind of person I agree with a lot of the things they're trying to say, but the way it is said seems so militant and unreflected...

You need heat to survive. When sensibly used wood still seems to be one of the least harmfull sources. Or am I biased?
        "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Hi All,

Some of the people on "that" website sound like they'd make great neighbours. Invite them around for a pizza, i'm sure they would come just to nose around.

But, for those of us who not only like to cook our food but also grow our food as healthily as possible, then has anyone tried doing this with the charcoal they take out of their oven when they want to cool it down.

I put my burning wood in a metal tin 2' (60cm) x 1' (30cm) x 1/2' (15cm) deep, then put a lid on it. The lid stops the oxygen from continuing to burn and then makes charcoal. Add this charcoal to liquid fertilizer or a compost heap and you're making biochar.

Surely then this would help to negate some worries about pollution and see that we're not all against the environment.

Woody

Comment

Originally posted by Frances View Post
            Or am I biased?
            I think it's safe to say that all of us here are a bit biased on this issue
            Ken H. - Kentucky
            42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
            Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Ken,

I went to that site and read through many pages of that forum and in the end, I was impressed by one thing most - I love our forum!

Yes, they are very committed, and I suppose there is something to be said for that, but they are so serious... I could feel the anger.

Here, we help and advise, but we also laugh and joke and kid. Always something possitive here. I can think of SO many other things than wood smoke to get all worked-up about.

It may sound primative, because it is, but I believe a man has a right to have fire.

dusty

Comment

Originally posted by dusty View Post
                It may sound primitive, because it is, but I believe a man has a right to have fire.

dusty
                Agreed. Without fire where would we be - most likely extinct. And if that were the case - there would be nobody on a forum bitching about smoke.

Les...
                Check out my pictures here:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Amen brother!

dusty

Comment

Working...
                  X