Favorite Christmas presents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Christmas presents

Welcome back to the new year everyone. May the new year be a little better than the previous one. :-)

I received a couple of oven-related presents from Santa that are great -- including a Global bread knife (from Japan), Peter Reinhart's "Whole Grain Bread" book and a long cutting board for baguettes. I guess Santa knows what I like.

We baked and baked the whole holiday season, and had a blast. I might be upping my commitment -- no store bread plus no store pastry this year.

Auguri,
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: Favorite Christmas presents

My favorite gift was a digital scale! Now the magic of the 'Bakers Percentage' will be open to me! I am looking forward to adding a bit of accuracy to my baking. So far it has been mostly guess work..

JED

Comment

The best thing that I got was the reaction from my 18 month old grand daughter trying to push her new pram around with her new dolly whilst I am trying to assemble the axles and wheels. Building an oven was a breeze to that, but unforgettable.
      I bought myself the new mixer as it was tooooo heaveeeey for Santa!
      I can hardly lift it to seat the new bench top but is now installed and doesn't need moving!

Neill
      Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
      Neill’s kitchen underway
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Drew got me the basic peel/brush set, and meticulously wrapped each one in form-fitting wrapping paper. He then hid the set in the hall closet and made a little scavenger hunt for me on Christmas morning. There's really no hiding what they were, so I loved that he had fun with it. And I got my tools just in time for the first big oven firing!
        Nikki

Comment

Got to spend Christmas with the twin grandchildren....hard to beat that!
          sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

Jim,
            ain't they grand!!!!
            BUT, I recon I can almost beat it. We had our two grandchildren (I have twin daughters but not grandchildren) and were informed of a new grandchild on the way. We will then have four for next Christmas!.

Neill
            Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
            Neill’s kitchen underway
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

I really like the instant-read Thermopen Santa brought me. But I must admit, my favorite present is an iPod interface for our Honda Odyssey. I'm in music heaven now!
              Ken H. - Kentucky
              42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
              Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

I got the Tuscan grill and the long oven mitts, both from Forno Bravo, of course! I'm very excited. I'm happy my family pays attention to my not to subtle hints!
                Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                My oven build thread

Comment

I got Whole Grain Breads, the Hamelman bread book, a turning peel, a brass brush, and an IR thermometer! AND I found out I know someone who does welding, so I can get him to make me a door that doesn't fall apart! I've been reduced to baking indoors due to pulling one of my handles through the door front (oops) and the fact that apparently southwestern Virginia is now in monsoon season. I think I'm starting to mildew...

I love the Whole Grain Breads book. I started with the 100% sandwich bread, and my stepdaughter was eating it in preference to the levain from Hamelman! Today I have the broom bread and the 50% rye bread started, along with the rye I've been making. Reinhart's will have to be pretty good to get me to make the switch- I really like the one I've been making.

The IR thermometer is fabulous! If it ever stops raining, I'm looking forward to being able to check the floor temp before I incinerate my bread!
                  Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

I got this. I think my wife was worried about the potential calorie increase after the oven was done. It's OK, I got her one as well - must have had the same fears.

Oh yea, mine is the black one...
                    Check out my pictures here:
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I havn't even started building my oven yet but i think my friends and family are keen for some Pizza action because i got 2 wooden peels - one from each side of my family, a nice stainless pizza cutting blade - foot long blade thingy that you rock over the pizza and i also got a book called 500 pizza and flat bread recipes which has some awsome ideas in it.
                      Real men cook with fire
                      My Oven and Fireplace Build

Comment

where are the long oven mitts? I need some more and can't find any on Forno Bravo site. My current pair have burned on the outside and the stuffing is showing. Not quite the heat proof I need.

Comment

Originally posted by krosskraft View Post
                          where are the long oven mitts? I need some more and can't find any on Forno Bravo site. My current pair have burned on the outside and the stuffing is showing. Not quite the heat proof I need.
                          Long Leather Pizza Oven Gloves :: Pizza Oven Accessories :: Forno Bravo Store
                          Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                          My oven build thread

Comment

These come in 14 and 18 inch lengths: keep those arm hairs intact

STEINER? Welder's Gloves - Lab Safety Supply
                            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

But would it be a true wfo experience without the lovely smell of burning hair???
                              Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Working...
                              X