Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Fountain Questions

Hi,

Has anyone here ever built a water feature or a fountain? I?m considering building a small one, but as a water fountain for my cats. Obviously it would need an external water source, but what I?m trying to find out about are shutoff valves, and how to automatically maintain a given water level. Granted, it?s something any toilet can do, but I was hoping for something a bit more decorative.

I found a project I liked in ?The Family Handyman? but the directions are a little sketchy. That?s unusual, they usually give very good directions. I think it was self-contained anyway, but I still like the basic planter design.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
    [/CENTER]

Re: Water Fountain Questions

Archena,
    you could always use the inverted water bottle to maintain a given water height. As the level drops, to a lower level than the outlet of the bottle, water flows in and stops when the correct level is maintained.
    Only disadvantage is that you will need to fill the container manually rather than to rig up proper and more expensive plumbing water level controlling mechanisms.
    Advantages are more with no huge mess if something goes wrong before you detect it, portable, non permanent, cheap and easy to make, easily decorated, etc.

Cheers.

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Thanks Neil, but I already have those. Actually, they come in a 5 gallon size. I use them whenever I’m away.

What I’m wanting to do is make something that provides flowing water, and doesn’t require daily filling. Providing some extra humidity for my plants won’t hurt my feelings either.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

[/CENTER]

Comment

I have a bit of a legacy on water features. My dad was totally about home landscaping.

Our house and yard was the subject of articles in some home magainzines back in the 70's. Including House and Garden. I was 10 or 11 at the time and was amazed to see myself in a national magazine. At bit ashamed of it now.... wearing blue plaid shorts.....

Since then - I've built several with and with out my dad (sad he's gone) and had a few flops... Let me know how I can help!

Christo
        My oven progress -
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
        sigpic

Comment

We were given one of these as a gift, and it works great. The tank is good for several days with two cats:

The Continuously Freshening Feline Drinking Fountain. at Hammacher Schlemmer
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Hi Archena,
            found this drinking fountain and immediately thought of your needs.

AUTO-FILL LARGE ANIMAL WATER BOWL (NEW) - eBay Other Supplies, Dogs, Pet Supplies, Home. (end time 25-Jan-09 21:32:14 AEDST)

It is in Adelaide but should be available world wide as it is in an ebay sellers warehouse.
            I buy a bit from him and it is generally good stuff.

Try : eBay Australia - Buy or sell practically anything on eBay, the world's online marketplace

and search for "ozmestore1"

Neill
            Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
            Neill’s kitchen underway
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Dmun: Thanks, but that's too small. A gallon wouldn't last two days - or one in the summer. I have more than a few cats...

Nevermind how many...

Neil: That's perfect!!!! Thanks!!!!

Yippie!!!!

[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
              X