Chinese WFO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinese WFO?

It seams the Italian, or European style oven is the one we talk about mostly here at Forno Bravo. If memory serves (always questionable) the retained heat oven is a kitchen appliance that has roots in many different cultures. Do any of ya'll have any experience with Chinese retained heat oven?

Thanks

JED

Re: Chinese WFO?

No experience here (big shock, I know...)

Could you post a pic of what you have in mind? The only Chinese 'ovens' I know of are actually stoves. Rice lacks sufficient gluten and bread is a European introduction so cooking was mostly by boiling/frying. I'd be interested in seeing anything related to true baking out of historic China.*

I had a link a while back on the history of Chinese cooking - I can probably hunt it down if you like.

As far as Eastern cultures, India is probably the furthest east that used ovens historically. Tandoori type ovens were more common as I recall but there may have been more European like ovens as well.

*They did have kilns as memory serves but the draft kilns I recalll them using would incinerate bread or anything else within seconds.
    Last edited by Archena; 01-15-2009, 06:42 AM.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
    [/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Archena View Post
      No experience here (big shock, I know...)

Could you post a pic of what you have in mind? The only Chinese 'ovens' I know of are actually stoves.
      Hi Archena,

I don't have any idea's in mind... I was just curious... the Chinese were leaders in so many things technically through time, it was just a question that hit my mind, and I didn't find any answers with a quick Google search...

I have found the 'group mind' of the Forno Bravo team pretty well versed in many different subjects, where better to take an obscure (to my experience) question?

JED

Comment

My sister had one of these:

I'm pretty sure it was made in China....

I've seen some Italian style casted WFO's on some of the china import sites, but not seen a china oven. I'll ask some of my team over in Shenzhen if they can share some history with us.

BTW - thought I'd share a pic of the Papa John's in Shenzhen below. They deliver, but I think their model is a bit different than the USA model.

Christo
        My oven progress -
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by christo View Post
          My sister had one of these:

I'm pretty sure it was made in China....

And if you put this in a WFO, it would probably burn....

Thanks Christo, I found humor in this.... And please do report if you learn anything from your contacts...

Thanks,

JED

Comment

I love the delivery bikes. That's great. One of my fondest memories of Italy is watching the pizza delivery scooters ride the wrong way of the street -- up a sidewalk -- to make a delivery.

Thanks for that!
            James
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by Jed View Post
              Hi Archena,

I don't have any idea's in mind... I was just curious... the Chinese were leaders in so many things technically through time, it was just a question that hit my mind, and I didn't find any answers with a quick Google search...

I have found the 'group mind' of the Forno Bravo team pretty well versed in many different subjects, where better to take an obscure (to my experience) question?

JED
              Ah, okay.

Excuse me, I have to go hurt Christo for making fun of Easy Bake....

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
              [/CENTER]

Comment

OMG! Easy Bake Oven... You can top dollar for that one in Funny Town.

Comment

They do a great roasted duck in a wfo, wouldn't mind trying out a variation of the recipe someday myself.

The Truth About Peking Duck and Other Beijing Reflections: A Guest Post - Freakonomics Blog - NYTimes.com

Seems they use apple wood as well as peach. Of course this day and age many places are moving towards electric ovens and injecting the "wood smoke taste". They claim it tastes better and gets crispier but I highly doubt it.

Its a pity that much of China currently subscribes to this quantity over quality approach... maybe a time will come when they reach back to their roots and realize that new and shiny doesn't always equal better.

Comment

Working...
                  X