I bring the sad news of the passing of Alan Scott

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I bring the sad news of the passing of Alan Scott

We have all lost a great deal whether we are aware or not. Alan Scott, one of the world's foremost experts on baking and the father of modern brick ovens has died. Alan will be missed by all who knew him and many more who have built his ovens and still vast others who have just read his books. Alan was not just a pioneer but a loving and selfless giver of knowledge. Alan's passion for brick ovens and baking has been passed countless times and and will continue to ripple through the artisan baking community.

Re: I bring the sad news of the passing of Alan Scott

Wow, I am really sorry to hear that. His book is what got me interested in WFOs. I love the bio of him on the back of the breadbuilders:

"Alan Scott is a craftsman and metaphysician who combines a lifetime's experience in metalwork, farming, and masonry oven-building with a constant awareness of the spiritual dimension of our activities on this earth."
    My Oven Thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

The news comes as a shock. I was in the midst of an email exchange with him regarding WFO workshops and than no further replies. Does anyone knows how he passed away? I for one will be hoisting a beer, lighting a fire and cooking a pizza in his honour.

Comment

I'm curious about this as Google News has nothing of his passing.

Trying Google News "obituaries, "Alan Scott"" gets hits of several people across the US with the same name that have recently passed yet nothing of the Alan Scott of whom we are familiar. A check of "Alan Scott, brick oven builder" and other similar searches yields nothing of any such event (that's a check in case an obituary has not yet been published).

Are you certain that this information is correct?

Wiley

Comment

Originally posted by Wiley View Post
          <snip> Are you certain that this information is correct?
          Wiley
          I found this on The Fresh Loaf, a community for amateur artisan bakers and bread enthusiasts.. Their website is type_Document_Title_here, and it was posted under <Home ? Forums ? General ? Misc.>

J W

Comment

I found some additional information on Sourdough Companion | The Sourdough Bread Community.

2009, January 28 - 20:24
            Some sad news...Alan Scott passed away today at 3.00pm in Tasmania, Australia. Many of the baking community will know Alan as a superb oven builder and motivator in the sourdough baking community. He will be missed and remembered in every loaf that comes out of an Alan Scott oven.

Good journey Alan
            Graham and Maedi

Updated 30 January, 2009
            Alan's funeral will be at 11 am on Thursday 5th February. It will be a graveside service in the grounds of the Oatlands Anglican Church (St Peter's). No other details are available yet.

Comment

Thanks, for the information. Alan Scott will have a lasting legacy of ovens and his impact on WFOs will be long remembered.

I too am a member of The Fresh Loaf. I never thought to check there. I checked the Google obits again this morning and still found nothing under Google News. I also checked the "Point Reyes Light" which is the local newspaper for Tomales Bay and the Petaluma newspapers online (Petaluma 360) and still found nothing. Even Googling Alan Scott Tasmania brings up nothing relevant. I find the lack of information on his passing curious.

Thanks,
              Wiley

Comment

It's sad news indeed. I always found Alan Scott to be generous and helpful when I was building my oven years ago. Fortunately, his son and daughter are in the business as well, so may his legacy continue.

Jim
                "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Working...
                X