Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alan Scott Obituary

All,

Here's a link to the New York Times obituary of that ubiquitous, self described "aging hippie" and oven pioneer Alan Scott: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/06/di...tml?ref=dining . No matter what type of oven each of us has, we owe him a moment to reflect on what he spent a lifetime doing.

Jim
    "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Re: Alan Scott Obituary

Good eyes, Jim. Like most of us upon reading of the first report, I went searching. Hoping against hope it wasn't true. Damn.

Mr. Scott made playing with your food and FIRE very, very cool.

Comment

Yeah, thanks CJ!
      sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

We owe him a great debt of gratitude for helping us to rekindle one of life's simplest pleasures.
        Alan Scott - OVENCRAFTERS
        View my pictures at, Picasaweb.google.com/xharleyguy

Comment

72 is such a young age; this is very sad. Alan did so much for our community, he loved what he did, and he brought so much happiness (and good bread) to so many. It sets me back to think about what the supermarket bread shelves looked like before the real bread movement (did we really eat that?) -- and Alan played such a big role in helping make that movement happen. I also think back to the first time I lit a fire in an oven built from Alan's plans, felt the heat and watched it work! What a thrill.

We have a lot to thank Alan for, and I wish his family all the best.
          James
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Thanks for posting the obit Jim - an interesting man, from the sound of it, who went too soon. A big loss for the oven community.

Interesting how his oven work first came about quite by chance, through a request for handles for an oven his friend, cookbook author Laurel Robertson, planned to build. (Her book, 'Laurel's Kitchen', was one of my very first cookbooks years ago!) Funny how it's often the random and seemingly small things that put your life on a whole new path!

Sarah

Comment

He inspired me. Though I never knew him personally I feel a loss
              sigpic

Comment

Farewell to a true inspiration. The biggest lesson learned is community and all that it is.

Comment

May he rest in peace.
                  Journal of My Oven's Progress

Comment

Working...
                  X