Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australia

No mate, we're not all crocs an' snakes an' deadly spiders.
    So what are we?
    And why this post?

Last one first. In private mail to a very dear mate from FB, I reckoned that , despite the carnage that currently ravages our country, we're just such lucky buggers, dead set. War has barely touched our shores (my regards to the survivors of the bombings from WW2), and our health system hasn't totally imploded - yet. And most of us do it pretty soft.

Next. Australia isn't all that big. Neither is our population.
    Ever asked yourself why?
    Think about it.
    Most of Australia's land mass is rs. (sorry, that stands for ratshit. My bad.)
    It's harsh and unforgiving, all bound up in a (strewth, I hate this. What's the word for enchanting, enthralling, captivating?) giant package, loosely tied.
    Sure, My Lady and I travel remote areas alone, but we have three (or more) factors to support us, namely a familiarity with the environment, a satellite phone, and a resignation that our vehicle may be forfeit. Visitors to Oz must, Must be aware that distances are huge, support is non-existant, and you'd be bloody lucky to see another vehicle in the short term

Which brings us to the first point - "Hostile Beasties".
    Sure, our land abounds in the buggers.But I think it's called 'Natural Selection".
    Fellers, don't worry about it. If you are very, very academic, then you will hide in your Origami castle.
    On the other hand dumb schmucks like us seem to survive, eh.
    To those of you who drive on ice roads............my admiration. Sand and mud I can sort.
    Ice? no mate, not for this little black duck.
    To each their own, and ain't that a fact.
    Luddite jeff.

Re: Australia

Australia is one of the places I've always wanted to visit. It seems to be such a mix of things all rolled up into one. I suspect it would take more than one trip to get a good feel for the place!

No ice, huh? That sounds pretty good right now. The groundhog saw his shadow and winter's still upon us...
    Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Elisabeth, I reckon you got it pretty right. Australia ain't too bad, and I'd love to tour Africa and South America, but that seems unlikely. For us (my Missus shares your name, by the way), Indonesia (Java) is like a second home. Apart from that, we could easily live out our greying years just mucking about in Oz.
      Yes Lizzy, I reckon our place will do at a pinch.
      Sometimes it seems unjust.
      Sin loi,
      Jeff.

Comment

Lizzy, your phrase "the Groundhog saw his shadow----.
        That sounds delicious. May I ask of the legends behind the words?

Bed time this end.
        Mushy Brained.

Comment

Groundhog Day- February 2. The date upon which some arbitrary person decided to harass a poor hibernating groundhog out of sleep, to see if he got pissed off. If he doesn't see his shadow, winter's over. If he does, there are 6 more weeks of winter. I believe that "seeing his shadow" means that he rushes back down the hole from whence he was prodded. Guess what happens more often than not??

However, if you check your dates for this hemisphere, six more weeks from the beginning of Feb. is right around when things should moderate anyway, so, I'm afraid it's all hooey.

For the record, Punxatawney Phil is the poor critter's name. Or one of the poor critters- I believe there are more than one these days. I dunno how they reconcile it when New York's says it's over but Punxatawney Phil says it isn't. Crabby rodents at 20 paces, anyone????

For more on this uniquely American tradition, see the movie "Groundhog Day" with Bill Murray. A truly funny movie. One of my favorites!
          Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

No groundhogs down under?
            My thread:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
            My costs:
            http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
            My pics:
            http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

No Dave no: just us rats, plus the odd mongrel.(Yours truly, eg.)

Thanks for that Egals - love it to bits. You damn near qualify as an Honorary Mongrel.

Onya Lass.

Luddite Jeff.

Comment

Jeff,

Your description of Australia makes me want to visit even more. Perhaps one of these days I can build up enough seniority to get a Sydney route.
                Ken H. - Kentucky
                42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

For the record, Punxatawney Phil is the poor critter's name. Or one of the poor critters- I believe there are more than one these days.
                  Up here, we have Wiarton Willie!

Doesn't really matter what he sees or doesn't though - winter lasts more like eight weeks past Groundhog Day, regardless. So six more to go ... AAARRRGGGHHHHHHH!!! (picture that as a kind of 'Charlie Brown' reaction)

Oz, Indonesia - they sound wonderful, especially at this point in a Northern winter. It did warm up enough to get my oven door unstuck though.

Sarah

Comment

Glad you're happy mucking around in the outback and surrounding lands Jeffy. Let us know how the fish out of water likes London! Perhaps you should review Crocodile Dundee for a few tricks before you travel.
                    Onya!
                    GJBingham
                    -----------------------------------
                    Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Originally posted by jeff View Post
                      Most of Australia's land mass is rs.
                      So, a bit like Switzerland really. Only totally different... About one third of this country in consists of vertical rock faces, many of which are covered in ice and snow.

Australia is cool. If I ever had to move to another country, it'd be pretty high up on my list of destinations. Dunno though, how strict are the immigration rules for WFOs?
                      "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Took a lo-o-ong time to compose a suitable answer that would pass the moderators, GJB.
                        So here it is, (highly modified, my friend. Refined to the point of rendering the meaning meaningless: sigh!)
                        Get Stuffed!!, Sir George of Longview.
                        Hahaha.
                        Yes mate, we shall survive: Did I tell you that I suggested to my kid sister that she should shave her head, grow a beard, bind her tits and culture a scowl? That way she could travel as my Lady's Husband on my passport - all (well, a few) expenses paid.

Sir George, can you imagine her reply?
                        Gobsmachked I am; gobschmacked. I daren't repeat her stream of venom outside these walls. But, to a lowly serving man such as meself, it came as a bitter blow, and that I can tellya.
                        But not tonight - I daren't. Not now.
                        maaf.
                        Extra Mushy J.

Comment

Working...
                        X