Property value and WFOs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Property value and WFOs

Robert's (Acoma's) birthday thread got me to thinkin': how much do you think a custom-built wood-fired oven adds to the value of your property? Not that I'd ever want to pick up and leave my priceless "baby" behind, but I imagine it would add significant value to the home, depending on the way it was integrated into the landscape. Could you recoup a significant part of the construction costs, or is it like one of those remodeling projects from hell that doesn't pay for itself? Anyone have experience with this?
    Picasa web album
    Oven-building thread

Re: Property value and WFOs

DB,

We had a pretty good discussion about this subject a while back. I tried to find the link but failed - it's here somewhere. Bottom line, if it's built well and not violating any codes, I can see no reason why it wouldn't improve your property value.

Les...
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Thanks Les. I did a quick search before posting, but I'll try again!
      Picasa web album
      Oven-building thread

Comment

Here it is

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f7/v...perty-318.html
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

We sold our house in Healdsburg that had two ovens -- one inside and one outside, and the family that bought the house was absolutely thrilled. They were looking for wine country living and the ovens were a big part of the vision. I can't say how much it added to the house value, but we definitely got more than we put into the ovens. Hey, selling any house is pretty tough right now, so that made it more than worth it.
          James
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

This subject to me is always a two edged sword. It may add to the value of the home, however, for those of us who plan on being where we live for the duration, adding to the value sometimes simply means paying more in taxes.

Wiley

Comment

When selling, it all depends on how it looks. (I've been watching too many of those HGTV real estate shows).

If the oven is part of a fully finished, gorgeous outdoor patio kitchen, you are going to really grab a buyers attention. They might not know what they will do with it, but they'll know it looks impressive.

If the oven is sitting on an unfinished cement block stand, it won't matter how good the pizza tastes. Buyers will see it as a 2000lb eye sore that needs to be removed.
              Ken H. - Kentucky
              42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
              Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

The second oven I built was for my daughter and she subsequently sold the house. When the agent came to view the place she said "This adds another 5000 to the place" They also used the oven as a selling point. The new owner has however, neglected the garden and hardly used the oven. Needless to say I built a new oven for my daughters new place.
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
                X