Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question

The day you fire the oven up to white, what can you cook if you are not in the mood for pizza? (it's not me, it's the wife) Just seems like a waste of heat to wait for the next day.

Les...
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Re: Question

Les
    Any thing you like as it is around 500˚C, (even the wife if she lies still long enough)
    Try to cook things in a lowering temperature range, eg, pizza, then breads/rolls/buns, roasts, desert pies/tarts, the onto drying herbs/spices and when almost cool, then your next load of wood for the oven.

Rastys
    If you don't succeed the first time, try again and again until you get it right!

Comment

You can cook chicken pieces or chops at full pizza heat. Season them (nothing sugary), throw them in on a piece of foil and cook them just like in the barbeque. Turn in six minutes, cook six or seven minutes more and you're good to go. Interestingly, they brown on the top much more than the bottom.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Great ideas. Keep them coming. I've been wondering the same thing.
        Ken H. - Kentucky
        42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
        Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Les,

At our last pizza event, we cooked several items we used as 'toppings', but would work separately or as part of another style meal.

All in cast iron fry pans;

Chicken breast seasoned with dry spices and olive oil - what you might call great...

Sliced vegetables; onion, zucchini, bell peppers - oh so good

Garlic was 5 cloves for a dollar, so we shucked up a pan full, with a bit of olive oil.. yum... (I was eating these right out of the pan,,, but would be good with fresh bread, or ???)

I cooked all of these with the fire in the oven, careful to move the pans around and keep the food rolling around in the pans to avoid burning. Could easily be cooked in a hot oven without the fire..

JED

Comment

Les.
            Great question. We all get so excited about building our ovens, but suggestions like these help us take full advantage of these great ovens. Keep them coming.

Mark

Comment

I'm thinking Indian. Naan, tandoori chicken, etc.

Fresh pita bread with hummus (I'd buy the hummus; I've never been able to make any that I can stand, but I love the stuff from my local restaurant.)

Shrimp works beautifully on top of pizzas, so I imagine a nice garlicy lemon shrimp would be quite fabulous.

Think tapas. I'll bet bacon wrapped dates would work. Some of the sizzling baked cheese dishes. Toast bread in the entrance and rub with tomato and sprinkle with salt for pan con tomate.

Fun topic! I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's suggestions.
              Nikki

Comment

Originally posted by exceloven View Post
                help us take full advantage of these great ovens.
                Mark
                They are amazing. Fire it up on Saturday afternoon, cook pizza in the evening, make 36 muffins the next morning, 3 loaves of ciabatta in the afternoon, then a beer can chicken for dinner (no chicken salad this time ). Damn! We are throwing a pot roast in a dutch oven with all the complements tomorrow morning. Don't know how thats going to work but feeling pretty confident. You nailed it Mark - these ovens are great!

Les...
                Check out my pictures here:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
                  We are throwing a pot roast in a dutch oven with all the complements tomorrow morning. Don't know how thats going to work but feeling pretty confident.
                  It'll be great! We do it all the time.
                  Ken H. - Kentucky
                  42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
                  Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

I was thinking that toppings would be great in the oven.

I love these threads. Gets me inspired to get going!

Comment

There was that thread on dirty steak or somesuch, where you throw the steak right on the glowing coals when the oven is hottest... I tried that and it tasted really great and was fun to do (takes a lot of courage first time though... )
                      "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

If you're feeling less adventurous you can throw the steak on the floor next to the fire, it does about the same thing.
                        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
                        X