Boudins Sourdough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boudins Sourdough

I just got back from San Fransisco. While there, I took the time to tour Boudins bread factory. Kind of a campy tour but pretty interesting to watch the process. After making bread a few times I couldn't figure out how it could be sold so cheap. Its volume! Their bowl dumps are around 160 pounds The mixers cost around 250 grand and makes my 6 quart KA mixer look like a spoon with no handle. I got a few tips about sourdough and hope to try them on the next bake. The biggest thing is the time - their dough rests/proofs for about 20 hours. It creates the blistering you see on this turtle.

Les...
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Re: Boudins Sourdough

Thanks for sharing the story, Les!

Where is Boudin's in SF? What part of the city?

Bake On!
    Jay

Comment

Jay,

They have a couple of locations, but the tourist trap is on the Embarcadero (by pier 39)

Les...

Comment

Thanks, Les!

We are toying with flying out sometime and it sounded like a fun activity!

Gracias!
        Jay

Comment

Hey Les,
          They just opened one in Roseville this past week if you need a fix and don't feel like driving all the way to the bay area. I had never been in one and we went out there today and had breakfast. I guess they gave the first 100 people in line free bread for a year so all the TV stations were out when it opened.

Comment

Originally posted by telehort View Post
            Hey Les,
            They just opened one in Roseville this past week if you need a fix and don't feel like driving all the way to the bay area. I had never been in one and we went out there today and had breakfast. I guess they gave the first 100 people in line free bread for a year so all the TV stations were out when it opened.
            A little more input. They claim to keep their quality, they need to send their satellite locations a new batch of starter every 4 weeks. Their claim to fame is the bacteria and climate that exists in the SF area. I have no clue if this is true, but when you walk into the proofing rooms, it damn near knocks you out - extremely pungent. They also claim that that their starter has been living since 1849 - the gold rush days. If it is all BS or not, they do have a great bread.

Les...

Comment

Hi Guys!

There is a good deal of debate as to whether an SF sourdough culture is viable outside of SF. The scientists say it is (and almost certainly is if very carefullly maintained and fed) but anecdotal evidence in the form of home bakers is (almost universally???) NO.

French scientists indicate that the yeast is usually able to defend itself against outsiders. The bacteria are vulnerable to "contamination" by other strains of lactobaccili (the one in SF is lactobaccilis sanfrancisco). As the SF bacteria is by far the most sour (and acid) one would think it could defend its culture pretty effectively but apparently other lactobaccili don't have any problems with the acid and tend to establish themselves IF or WHEN the culture is less than optimally robust. I am surprised they have to reestablish the culture monthly! Interesting!
              Jay

Comment

Working...
              X